UNC System President Peter Hans announces chancellor search committee

20231129_Skvoretz_File-south-building-2.jpg
Students sit outside the South Building, Office of the Chancellor and other administrative offices, on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023.

UNC System President Peter Hans announced the 13 members of the search committee for a permanent UNC chancellor on Monday.

Under UNC System policy, Hans will act as an ex-officio, voting member of the committee, which will be chaired by Dr. Cristy Page, executive dean of the UNC School of Medicine and chief academic officer of UNC Health.

Anita Brown-Graham, the associate dean for strategic initiatives at the UNC School of Government, will serve as a special adviser to the committee. She will provide guidance to Hans and Page throughout the search process, as well as serve as the committee’s liaison to University stakeholders.

The search committee will be tasked with selecting candidates and making recommendations to the UNC Board of Trustees, who will then vote on candidates to recommend to Hans.

The 13 members of the committee are:

• Hans
  • Page
  • Randall Ramsey, chair of the Board of Governors
  • Kellie Hunt Blue, chair of the Committee on University Governance and member of the BOG
  • John Preyer, chair of the BOT
  • Malcolm Turner, vice chair of the BOT
  • Jennifer Evans, member of the BOT
  • Beth Moracco, chair of the faculty
  • Katie Musgrove, chair of the Employee Forum
  • Christopher Everett, student body president
  • Veronica Mora Flaspoehler, president of the UNC General Alumni Association
  • Frank Gilliam, chancellor of UNC Greensboro
  • Jim Phillips Jr., a UNC alumnus and partner at Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard

The committee will also offer opportunities for public feedback, including through an online survey, listening forums on campus and focus groups with campus constituents.

“I’m confident our nation’s first public university will draw a field of excellent candidates,” Hans said in the press release. “As a proud alumnus, I am eager to get to work with a committee that represents Carolina’s vibrant and diverse campus community.”

The search for a permanent chancellor follows the departure of former chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz, who will become president of Michigan State University in March. Former Board of Governors member Lee Roberts began serving as interim chancellor in January.

@ashnqm

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.co

Ashley Quincin

Ashley Quincin is a 2023-24 assistant university desk editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a university staff writer. Ashley is a senior pursuing a degree in English and comparative literature, with a double minor in media and journalism and composition, rhetoric and digital literacy.

More in University

More in UNC system

More in Faculty

More in Peter Hans