Incumbent Allison Riggs wins Democratic primary for N.C Supreme Court

Allison-Riggs2023 _16x9.png
Photo courtesy of Allison Riggs.

Incumbent Allison Riggs won Tuesday's Democratic primary for N.C Supreme Court seat 6. 

According to unofficial results, as of 9:45 p.m. on Thursday, Riggs won 69 percent of the vote and her sole opponent, Lora Christine Cubbage won 31 percent

Riggs, who has previously served on the N.C Court of Appeals, was appointed to the N.C. Supreme Court in September by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper to replace Michael Morgan. In the general election in November, Riggs will run for a full term on the court.

Riggs was endorsed by Cooper, the Sierra Club, the Young Democrats of North Carolina and the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People. 

According to her campaign website, she worked as the co-executive director for programs and chief counsel for voting rights at the Southern Coalition for Social Justice in Durham. In that role, she argued before the U.S. Supreme Court in landmark redistricting cases. 

Riggs recently told The Daily Tar Heel that even though she knows the N.C. Supreme Court cannot flip to a Democratic majority in the 2024 general election, she is working with Justice Anita Earls to elect more Democrats in 2028. She said, in the meantime, she plans to demand transparency and accountability from within the court.

Riggs will face Jefferson Griffin, the Republican nominee for the seat, in November.

Sarah Clements contributed reporting to this story.

@Lucymarques_

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com

Lucy Marques

Lucy Marques is a 2023-24 assistant city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She was previously a city & state senior writer. Lucy is a junior pursuing a double major in political science and Hispanic literatures and cultures.