Joe Biden and Donald Trump win respective North Carolina party primaries

US-NEWS-ELECTION-CALIF-POLL-GET.jpg
Then-President Donald Trump (left) and President Joe Biden are pictured during the final presidential debate at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, on October 22, 2020. Photos courtesy of Brendan Smialowski and Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images/TNS.

Per unofficial results, current President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have won their respective party primary contests for the 2024 race. Biden earned 88 percent of the vote while Trump earned 75 percent, as of 9:46 p.m.

Democratic winner

Biden is the only candidate on the Democratic ballot in North Carolina — a decision made by the state's Democratic Party. 

With 38 out of 40 precincts in Orange County reporting, Biden won 84.09 percent of the vote, while 15.91 percent of voters chose "no preference." 

Activists in states like Michigan that have already held their primary elections have voted "no preference" to call on Biden to advocate for a ceasefire in Gaza. Nearly 12 percent of the statewide Democratic voters put "no preference," with about 66 percent of precincts reporting. 

“I’ve been inspired recently by Michigan voting no preference, so I think I may take that route to vote, but I really want to make my voice heard as a young person. I believe civic engagement is something that’s really important,” Amanda Jesuca, a UNC student who voted on Tuesday, said.

Republican winner

Former President Donald Trump won Orange County with about 55 percent of the vote, with former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley earning 41 percent, as of 9:46 p.m.

Trump endorsed Republican lieutenant governor candidate Mark Robinson in a Greensboro rally this weekend.

Haley won the primary contest in Washington, D.C., on Sunday. She has lost all other primary races — including her home state of South Carolina. According to reporting from The Associated Press, Haley plans to remain in the race despite not having won other presidential races.

If Biden and Trump become their party's official nominees, they will face each other in the general election for the second time this November.

Kristin Kharrat contributed reporting to this story.

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.