UNC election experts discuss role of social media and rhetoric in elections

20231115_Skvoretz_File-old-well.jpg
The Old Well on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023.

In retrospect of the midterm elections, UNC election experts shared their observations on the role of social media and polarizing rhetoric in the upcoming election season.

Marc Hetherington, UNC professor of political science, said political divisions have caused parties to use dehumanizing language. He said parties see each other now as rivals, which causes the party not in power to root for the country to fail.

“Just like Carolina fans might be rooting for Duke to make a mistake, we're rooting for the country to make a mistake,” he said.

Hetherington said these divides are caused by feelings, not necessarily issues, and most Americans are actually in the middle of ideologies. The big issues that citizens divide themselves on, he said, are related to racial and ethnic identities, gender equality and LGBTQ+ rights.

He said the emotional aspect is what makes it hard for people to understand why others believe differently from them. It also forces people to think of the opposite political party as their most hated rival, he said.

No cure will fix this divide, he said, but people need to know parties are going to continue to do what they're doing, as long as it serves their interests. He also said change needs to come from generational changes, by bringing into office new people who are not jaded by old fights.

Shannon McGregor, an associate professor of journalism and media, has studied how campaigns use social media for over ten years. She said social media is a tool that political campaigns can use to get data about their constituents and mobilize voters.

“If you looked at any campaigns on different social media, they're going to be reminding you that today is primary day, if you're in North Carolina, and directing you to vote and help other people vote," she said.

She said journalists can use politicians’ social media accounts to hear directly about their stances on issues and it is a way to understand what candidates are doing and saying.

Daniel Kreiss, UNC professor of journalism and media, said social media has shaped the way people have political conversations and how people perceive their world. He said the political media people consume is based on how engaging it is because that’s how platforms incentivize content.

“Things that might be highly visual, things that might be highly emotional or things that might be extreme or attention-grabbing tend to get the most engagement on social media,” he said. “I think, therefore, tends to be the ways that political actors orient themselves to how they campaign.”

He said media outlets have also adopted this mindset and have been amplifying emotional media content.

In favor of this engagement incentive, Kreiss said it has given voices to social movement activists who did not have representation in the older media system. He said this happened with the #MeToo movement and Black Lives Matter.

“What's going on is that people who have never gained access to the public sphere before are now increasingly visible and looking to hold elites and powerful people accountable in a new way,” he said.

He said candidates have caught on as well; Kreiss said Trump knows how to do provocative things to drive engagement. He also said Biden has been trying to leverage influencers with large followings on social media to vouch for him.

Currently, Kreiss said most Americans get their political and election news from social media because it is the key distribution mechanism for everyone, including mainstream media sources.

McGregor said this is not inherently bad, but it depends on what the news looks like. She said if people want to get information from social media, then they need to follow and seek out sources with quality information.

She also said this year is a hard and important election. McGregor said if people need to take breaks from the news, they should.

“Engagement doesn't mean you have to be paying attention every single day to every single thing,” she said. “It's okay to have those breaks when you need them so that you cannot get overwhelmed and have that feeling of opting out.”

@FunderburkCelia

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com