Carrboro selects Buncombe County's Lamar Joyner as new town clerk

You_20230915_city-carrboro-town-council-preview-update-6.jpg
Carrboro Town Hall is pictured on Friday, Sep. 15, 2023.

On March 26, the Town of Carrboro announced Lamar Joyner as its next town clerk.

Joyner previously worked as a clerk for the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners and as the deputy director for Forsyth County’s Board of Elections.

Joyner replaced Wesley Barker, who was hired as the town clerk for the Town of Black Mountain last fall.

Carrboro Mayor Barbara Foushee said Joyner will be successful because of his experience in local government, including his familiarity with North Carolina laws and understanding of municipal election processes.

“I was really struck by his demeanor, his communication style, his professionalism and, of course, his experience as a county clerk coming from Buncombe County," Foushee said.

Town council member Randee Haven-O’Donnell said the town clerk takes on four fundamental roles: serving as the community's ambassador, primary communicator, documentarian of public meetings and archivist of records.

“The role of the clerk in town governance cannot be overstated,” Haven-O’Donnell said. “It is a priceless position. It is the linchpin that anchors the communication of the town council, and the staff and community.”

Town council member Eliazar Posada also said the town clerk oversees advisory councils — including ensuring diversity on those councils — and handles public records requests. He said the clerk will also work with the council to draft resolutions and do research on policies enacted by other local municipalities.

It would only be a small challenge for Joyner to acquaint himself with the Town, because he has experiencing working in the Asheville area, Posada said.

He said, as the Town hires new administrators, one of the primary challenges is working through the reevaluation and restructuring of community advisory boards. A proposed plan would consolidate the Town’s 17 boards into nine to streamline processes and reduce the burden on staff.

Foushee also said Joyner will need to familiarize himself with Carrboro’s policies, practices and Town code.   

“But we have — myself and everyone else — full confidence that Mr. Joyner will be able to do all these things and more as we work towards a more streamlined way of responding to community,” Posada said.

Posada also said Carrboro has selected Patrice Toney, an assistant city manager for the City of Winston-Salem, as its new town manager — the other senior staff position for the town that interacts with the council. He said this is the first time both of those positions will be held by Black community members.

“I’m excited to see how that moves into our stated racial equity goals and making sure that our senior leadership in town also reflects the community, so I’m very excited for that part,“ Posada said.

More in Carrboro