Column: Why the subscription model is killing news

opinion-newspaper-subscriptions

Photos courtesy of Adobe Stock

The subscription business model is everywhere we look. Subscriptions dominate the current market, keeping consumers in an endless loop of recurring payments. Often, we seek subscriptions for movies and TV, like Netflix, or music, like Spotify. They have even seeped into the professional world. Every day, another subscription service seems to pop up, selling skincare or meal kits right to your door. 

News is one of the most lasting products of the subscription model. From the era of newsboys and paper routes, people have paid for their news for a while — even if it used to look like subscribing to receive a paper on their porch step delivered by a child on a bike. 

It made perfect sense to subscribe in that era. News was far less accessible without the Internet, which is capable of spreading news like wildfire in the 21st century. However, with the rapid decline of print journalism, consumers now receive most of their news through digital means like TV, websites and social media, a shift that significantly altered the news consumption landscape. 

With an ever-changing media environment and paywalls in well-known digital news sources, the longstanding news subscription model is hard to maintain. In a world saturated with social media — where information is delivered in free, vertical, bite-sized pieces — many readers may feel it is not important to subscribe to news outlets.

This subscription model poses a threat to our current political climate. When readers cannot access well-researched reporting because of paywalls, they turn to more affordable outlets that do not require subscriptions.

News consumers who cannot afford subscriptions may rely on less reputable news through social media. When consumers turn to more polarized sources, they become trapped in a different media world, one that frames their perspectives quite differently than those on the other end of the political spectrum.

This is not unlike newspapers that were distributed soon after the founding of America. These initial newspapers were very politicized, skewing facts to enhance readership — further polarizing public opinion across the newly-established country. 

Not only does the current subscription model contribute to polarization, but it also contributes to the lack of civic education. Paywalls and subscription models favor those who can afford the price and those who are often already educated readers. This leaves those who cannot afford these outlets behind. 

However, news does not have to be free to be made more accessible. If the advertising business model is a dying art and subscription models influence polarization and lack of civic education, how will papers make money?

There are several ways that news outlets have attempted to make money in the past. Some organizations have considered using micropayments — a pay-per-article model that requires the reader to purchase each article they wish to read for a handful of cents. 

Merchandise is another form of profit for news organizations. From tote bags to T-shirts, these outlets could capitalize on people’s love of merch. Crowdfunding and donations can also contribute to news funds. Supporters of an outlet have the opportunity to donate money and become sustainers for the organization. These models require the media organization to be close to their community. 

Nonprofit news models could also improve the current media drought and reverse the country's polarization. This model turns news organizations into nonprofits, making the outlet focused on the public good and changing the tax status. This method has already been used in the media landscape, with the Associated Press, among others, showing a real-world example of how a nonprofit news model can operate. While these outlets still require funding, it is obtained through grants and other fundraising methods.

News has rarely been free. Newspapers delivered to your door cost money, and so did papers bought from boxes on the street. Even the news we consume online or through TV is paid for with the ads we sit through or see on the sidebars. 

Journalists deserve to be paid a living wage for the work they do. Ask any journalist at The Daily Tar Heel alone: the lengths they go to deliver local news are extensive and time-consuming. 

Making news more accessible does not mean it has to be entirely free. It is important to remember that there are real people behind the news you consume. It costs money to produce quality journalism with educated reporting and analysis. However, for news organizations to evolve in an ever-polarized era and for the public to remain informed in the age of social media, a new business model might be in store. 

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com