I am trying to be a better version of myself.

Ten words I say way too often, but I’m honestly not sure if it is true. Eating a salad or submitting an assignment before the eleventh hour is not going to change me, but it does make me feel good for a few seconds.

When 2024 began, I did what every girl in her 20s was made to do: curate a Pinterest board and a playlist. My Pinterest was flooded with manifestations of getting fit, finding internships and being successful. But those are just pictures on social media.

My playlist, though? She is alive and breathing. An asset to my day and currently the only thing I find myself shuffling when I hop in the car.

On Jan. 1, I made a promise to myself that if I do anything this year, it would be to update a playlist with a new song every day. The only rules: no repeats, no back-to-back artists.

Seems pretty easy right? Wrong.

Sometimes a day feels like “I’m Tired” from the Euphoria soundtrack and then a week later I feel the same again. On days I don’t do anything, finding new or random songs is my go-to. I have even taken recommendations for other people’s songs of the day. Thank you Copy Chief Sarah Monoson for contributing several.

The same day I made this promise, I was feeling afraid. A new year is hard, especially when you have no idea what the next six months of your life will look like.

“What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish defined that first day. Sitting at the dining table with my mom, filling out a bullet journal I have not touched since then and thinking about the fear of the unknown.

Now that March has come and gone, I have a good idea of what I was made for. I definitely think I have become a better version of myself.

My days are filled with CycleBar classes that play songs from Hamilton at full volume. I come into the office on The Smiths Sunday and suddenly "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" is a staple in my playlist. "The Iron Claw” soundtrack has backed plenty of study sessions.

Music has come to define my day-to-day life. 

Citizen Cope’s “Sideways” sounds like my mom laughing on a road trip and “Doses & Mimosas” sounds like my high school best friend’s basement on a Friday night. Some days are made for reminiscing.

But most days sound like the unknown. I was made for a summer where I still do not know what I am doing, days with my baby cousins, laughing with my roommates and possibly sticking around in The DTH office for a bit longer.

A lot has changed since January, but I am no longer afraid.

I am a better version of myself. I am a 20-year-old with a dusty Pinterest board, but an energetic, whiplash-y playlist, and I am confident that 2024 will continue to improve me.

Please, enjoy “Supermarket Flowers” by Ed Sheeran immediately followed by “Hefner" by Tana Mongeau. It is something I think everyone should experience.

@goodsonolivia_

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com

Olivia Goodson

Olivia Goodson is the 2023-24 design editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a staffer on the design desk. Olivia is a junior pursuing a double major in advertising and public relations and communications.