CUAB cancels annual Jubilee festival due to 'unforeseen circumstances'

20230422 - YOUNG NUDY @ UNC JUBILEE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2023
Rapper Young Nudy, the headliner of this year's Jubilee Music Festival, performs on Hooker Fields on Saturday, April 22, 2023.

Jubilee, UNC’s annual spring music festival which was originally slated for April 14, has been canceled.

The reasoning behind the decision has not been released, though a statement posted on March 29 from the Carolina Union Activities Board said the cancellation was “out of CUAB’s control.”  

“Jubilee is a beloved tradition, and it saddens us to announce that the concert component will be canceled,” the social media post said

In the past, Jubilee has been a full-day event with food trucks and local vendors, along with a full lineup of music performances. For many students, the cancellation means losing the opportunity to see headliners — like last year's Young Nudy or 2022's Flo Milli — at a place as accessible as UNC’s campus. CUAB had not announced this year’s headliner before cancellation.

Tori Holder, associate director of communications and creative services at the Carolina Union, said in an email statement that there will be a replacement event called CUAB-A-PALOOZA, which will take place on April 14 at Hooker Fields from 4-8 p.m. The event will have carnival games, food and giveaways, but will not be a long-term replacement for Jubilee, Holder said. 

Holder said the event was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. CUAB executive board members declined The Daily Tar Heel's request for elaboration on the matter beyond the released statement. 

Since the announcement of Jubilee’s cancellation, students and performers have expressed frustration at the lack of information about the decision. 

“To not give details is the worst thing because you let people’s imaginations run wild,” Casey Kibe, who was supposed to perform at Jubilee last year with her band, csb, said.

To some, the festival acted as a celebration for graduating students and a stress reliever in the midst of preparing for finals. In addition to being high-energy and low-cost, it provided a stage for amateur performers to get in front of a big crowd. 

“That got me more gigs, just by being on that stage,” former Jubilee host Christian Kornegay said

UNC alumnus Emmanuel Durojaiye said he performed at Jubilee last year under the name "Froggo." Not only did Jubilee give him the chance to DJ on a big stage, but he said it provided an opportunity to see and interact with artists he admired growing up but never got to see live.

However, Durojaiye experienced issues with miscommunication last year when a rain delay led to some bands being cut from the lineup completely. Kibe also said she felt there were communication problems when her band’s set was unexpectedly cut during last year’s Jubilee. 

“It definitely felt like things were one rough situation away from exploding,” Durojaiye said.

Kibe expressed her admiration of the tradition and want for it to continue, especially because she said Jubilee serves as a way to showcase UNC’s bustling music scene. 

“I still want to look forward to it, especially seniors who are like, ‘I just wanted to have a Jubilee to cap off my senior year’ — it's kind of sad,” she said. “I hope they find some kind of way to fill in that void.”

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com