Between the {Broad} Sheets

Breaking the news broke our Web site

We told you earlier that we want dailytarheel.com to be the place you go when there’s news you need to know.

Monday, many of you tried, but likely had problems loading and viewing the site. We know we did here in the newsroom.

Though the new site launched on Saturday, we didn’t see high traffic until Monday, when we published our first edition of the year, a whopping 24-page paper.

Monday also saw the sad news of junior Courtland Smith's death.

The two events combined for higher-than-usual traffic that our new servers couldn’t quite handle, resulting in why you had trouble viewing the site.

Our server was using more than 100 percent of its resources, creating a virtual traffic jam.

We realized the problem early on in the day, and began working with our Web developers to fix the issue. Most of the major issues were corrected early in the afternoon, but you may have had problems viewing images later on as we worked on the site.

You should have no trouble loading the site now.

Monday was the first real test of how our servers could handle high traffic, and we learned a lot from today and how to prevent it from happening again. In the future, you shouldn’t have trouble viewing the site, no matter the level of traffic.

We’re happy that dailytarheel.com was the site many of you went to Monday to find the latest news. It shows you count on us for breaking news. Next time, we’ll try harder to make sure we get the news to you.