Canvas

Wednesday Roundup: Getting hyped for Turkey Day edition

Performance

Ben Sollee & Carrie Rodriguez
Memorial Hall, 7:30 p.m. tonight
$10 students, $20-55 general public

Folk artist and cellist Ben Sollee is returning to UNC tonight, playing with fiddle player Carrie Rodriguez. Sollee and Rodriguez teamed up for a tour last year which ended in February.

After the larger, more formal Memorial Hall performance tonight with Rodriguez, Sollee will play an encore show tomorrow during the Sierra Student Coalition’s “Music Saves the Mountains” event, encouraging an end to the use of coal for energy production. “Music Saves the Mountains” is a free event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Union multipurpose room Thursday.

Read staff writer Rachel Coleman’s Q&A with Ben Sollee here .

Read staff writer Rachel Coleman’s review of the concert here .

Vertigo
Swain Hall Studio 6
6:00 p.m. Thursday, 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 3:00 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12-21

UNC student Lucious Robinson — a real fan of Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo — reimagined the classic film for a screenwriting class more than a year ago. The uniquely twisted sibling to Hitchcock’s mystery is now being performed by the Department of Communications Studies.

Joseph Megel directs this nightmarish web of obsession inspired by a horror classic. Vertigo promises to be an intriguing, must-see performance by student and department actors.

Read staff writer Kristina Weeks’ preview of the play here .

Read staff writer Kristina Weeks’ review of the play here .

Thom Paine
Lab! Theatre
Bingham Hall Blackbox
8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday, 2 p.m. Sunday, 5 p.m. Monday
Free admission

In its first experimental outing of the year, Lab! Theatre has chosen the unusual story of Thom Paine, an angry and sometimes socially inept individual who delivers an extended monologue — some might say rant — in the one-man play that bears his name. Senior Zac Moon plays Paine in what promises to be a decidedly off-kilter evening of theater. And in true Lab! fashion, tickets are free.

Read staff writer Tariq Luthun’s preview of the play here .

Men’s and Women’s Glee Club
Hill Hall Auditorium
3 p.m. Sunday
Free admission

If, when you read “glee club performance,” you think you’re going to encounter a performance-heavy group of misfits singing overproduced versions of your favorite radio hits, then the University’s music department’s group of classic glee clubbers will throw those ideas out the window. These two groups of fantastically trained singers reproduce classically arranged songs alongside jazzy pieces with hints of humor, bringing a purely entertaining concert to stage.

Blank Canvas
Memorial Hall
Friday, Nov. 19 7 to 9 p.m.
Tickets $5 on sale in the Pit, $7 at the door

UNC’s largest and most established student dance group presents its annual fall shindig this Friday at Memorial Hall. If you hadn’t had a chance to see one of the many dandy dances presented by various groups and peoples, this might be your chance. It certainly is the least expensive performance thus far, and you might even know some people in it. Canvas certainly does. Head out to Memorial Hall for an evening of dance-tastic excitement.

UNC Gamelan Nyai Saraswati
Ackland Art Museum
Sunday, Nov. 21 2 to 4 p.m.
Free admission

It isn’t every Sunday that UNC’s very own Javanese-inspired music ensemble takes to the stage — and it certainly is rare for that same music group to appear in the galleries of the Ackland Art Musuem. Stop on by the museum this Sunday for this very free and very snazzy performance of the difficult-to-describe Indonesian musical instrument. The performance is a part of the Ackland’s Music in the Galleries series — and even allows audience members to have their hand at the gamelan. Canvas might just have to stop on by and try it out for ourselves.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum opened their newest exhibit in the upstairs Study Gallery — a space designed for classes to come and study art that is also open during regular museum hours for viewing. “The Legend of John Brown” collects 22 silkscreen prints by Jacob Lawrence, telling the story of the famous abolitionist’s life. The collection makes a return to the museum as a celebration of last weekend’s premiere of composer T.J. Anderson’s musical creation, “In Front of my Eyes: An Obama Celebration.”

The Warhol exhibits continue to impress, as does the Ackland’s work to promote them.

The positively lovely trio of Warhol-inspired photography exhibits remains an Ackland favorite. Canvas has already written enough about these exhibits — get out there and see some awesome free art while the going’s good.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the three new exhibits here.

If moving art is more your forte, the Ackland has teamed up with the Varsity theater to showcase some Andy Warhol-related motion pictures. The first in this series of four films premieres Thursday with “Chelsea Girls,” Warhol’s three-and-a-half hour series of vignettes featuring drag queens that was filmed at Chelsea Hotel in New York City. The film has been called the most important underground film in existence and its screening Thursday is one of few in the history of the film. At 6 p.m., Ackland’s curator Peter Nisbet will give a tour of the three current exhibitions of portraiture, including “Big Shots: Andy Warhol Polaroids,” and at 7 p.m., the viewing of “Chelsea Girls” starts. Admission to the Varsity for this series is free.

Read Kelly Blessing’s preview of the event here .

And if you’re tired of all things Warhol, there’s always the continuing exhibit of glass and ceramic work that opened a few weeks ago.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the exhibit here.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke is always a fun time. Check out the Record exhibit on vinyl art, and take a gander at the collection of early modern art in The Vorticists . While not as free as the Ackland, the Nasher is almost just as pretty.