DTH at a Glance

Can you say 'shopping spree?'

It feels like Christmas over here in Chapel Thrill. We are soon (well, relatively soon) to have our very own Target at Carolina Square on Franklin Street. This means we don't have to drown in back sweat in the summer or freeze our eyeballs off in the winter when we just need to run and get a loaf of bread. Is this the end of the first-year shuttle to Super Target? Only time will tell.

– Sofia

IN QUICKHITS

• UNC journalism professor Tim Crothers wrote the book "Queen of Katwe" about a Ugandan girl who becomes a chess sensation and it is now being turned into a Disney movie. Staff writer Leah Moore talks to Crothers about the writing process and his relationship with Roy Williams. 
  • Three UNC affiliates — two professors and one postdoctoral fellow — will be representing the correct color of blue at Durham's TedxDurham event. The independently organized event will feature speakers presenting along the theme of "Centers and Edges."
  • Researchers at UNC's Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute have been working to show that the quality of early child education can impact that child's future success. 

IN STATE NEWS

President Obama joined presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail in Charlotte on Tuesday. The two spoke about the others' successes but neither mentioned the FBI's recent decision to not charge Clinton for her handling of emails while in the State Department. 

IN CAMPUS NEWS

The University recently unveiled and tested its new "One Button" system for public safety notifications. At a touch of just one button for a given emergency, the Department of Public safety can quickly send out Alert Carolina texts and emails. University officials say, after their test of the system, it is working well. 

IN CITY NEWS

Carrboro's own Vinyl Perk records and coffee shop is closed while they are looking for a new location. In the meantime, where are we to go to browse all the 70s hits while sipping a latte?