DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: If you're reading this, call your mom

When I was a wee high school senior reading articles titled “The Ultimate College Girl’s Guide to Having the Perfect School Year” on Pinterest, the number one tip that always stuck with me (after “get plenty of sleep and exercise“) (ha-ha) was this: “Don’t forget to call your mom." No matter how old you get, it is a universal truth that your mom can make you feel better almost instantly.

Moms take many forms — from roommates to loving friends to persons-whose-wombs-you-emerged-from. But in the end, they all do they same thing: back you up. 

For you, it may be the woman who raised you; for some UNC students, it’s Theresa “Mamma T” West, whose new business has allowed her to consider many students her children.

It will make you feel better, I can almost guarantee. Whoever she is, wherever she is, make sure to call your mom.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

IN MOTHER’S LOVE

Theresa West, known to many students as “Mamma T," started a new cleaning service that not only helps students keep their homes tidy, but also provides them with a mother figure while they’re away at school.

IN SQUADDING UP WITH NC STATE

Students attending classes at both UNC and N.C. State will now have the chance to be considered students of and receive degrees from both universities, thanks to an initiative by the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering. Yay science, yay tech, yay teamwork!

IN GOING FROM ZERO TO HERO

University officials, led by Chancellor Carol Folt, are aiming to save the University energy and money through the Three Zeros Initiative, which focuses on achieving water neutrality, greenhouse gas neutrality and zero waste.

IN DEFUNDING AND DOCUMENTARIES

UNC will appear in “Starving the Beast,” an upcoming documentary that examines the systematic defunding of public education since the 1980s. The film will feature the conflict between UNC-system Board of Governors and former UNC-system President Tom Ross.