DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: 'The Millennial Falcon' edition

Hi, my name is Rachel and I'm a trash millennial. 

I've known this for a while — the signs have been pretty hard to ignore. I consume about three burritos a week on average, my Snapchat is alarmingly active and I regularly use terms like "woke," "bae" and "memelord" without a trace of irony. A lot of my friendships have been built on complaining and lying around doing nothing. I work as a social media manager, for god's sake. 

So while I'm technically at the very tail end of the millennial era (all my late '90s kids, represent), I'm sure I'll feel just as stereotyped by UNC's Millennial Friendship Study as I am by every thinkpiece baby boomers have written about my generation. At the end of the day I'm fine with it — I'll probably just use it as fire tweet material.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• North Carolina is doing all right in at least one regard. The state has the fifth lowest gender wage gap in the nation, but that gap still probably won't close until 2100 :/ 
  • Happy late First Amendment Day! Tuesday's celebrations of every journalist's favorite holiday included a rambunctious student panel titled “Trigger Warnings, Safe Spaces and ‘Special Snowflakes.’ ”
  • Here come dat costume! If you're still seeking Halloween inspiration, Swerve's got you covered. Our *Hallowmeme* concepts should guarantee about 50 inebriated conversations you don't want to have as you rush Franklin per costume.

IN HOSPITAL HEADWAY

UNC Health Care is constantly expanding to meet the needs of North Carolina's aging and growing population (one of its most recent expansions is actually in my hometown, Kinston, and is the furthest east of the system's hospitals). UNC Hospitals' Chapel Hill campus is facing problems during its own growth as officials work around space and traffic concerns. 

IN TRUMP TALES

Donald Trump talked taxes at Monday's presidential candidate debate, but some experts are doubting the feasibility of his plans to cut corporate taxes and raise the GDP. More locally, English Honors and AP World History teacher Amanda Harder at Cedar Ridge High School in Hillsborough resigned after a controversial lecture involving Trump. She used the presidential candidate as an example of Aristotle's idea of pathos. 

IN DATA DISCOVERIES

Chapel Hill has joined a number of Triangle-area cities in creating a user-friendly website publishing the city government's information. Now public records requests and department databases are hosted on the same site, and somewhere the ghosts of DTHers past are weeping silent, joyful tears. 

IN HISTORICAL HARKENINGS

Sept. 28 has apparently been a historically busy day. This edition of Swerve's #tbt includes the re-election of Angela Merkel, Chancellor Carol Folt's meeting with Stephen Hawking in Sweden and the birth of Cosimo De'Medici, a personal favorite and patron inspiration of Kanye West (Hot take alert: His version of Cosimo is 100% Kris Jenner).