DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: On a more important note

In yesterday’s newsletter, I low-key ranted about how I felt like I was still a mess even after Fall Break. Today, I’m back with a better mindset.

I forget sometimes the school I attend isn't easy. In fact, being a student at UNC is downright hard, and even that seems like an understatement. I, along with thousands of other students, often struggle to balance school, work, extracurriculars, friends, family, mental well-being and a million other things, all while worrying about the future and our impending lives as adults.

To keep things short: I know I sometimes need to be reminded that I don’t have to wait for the University to designate when I am allowed to take a break. Our editorial board provided me with my reminder today; hopefully, these words will provide you, yours. If you need to sleep, sleep. If you need to breathe, breathe. And if you need a break, take it. You 100 percent deserve it.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• This Friday, the student body will decide once and for all whether student government and the Graduate and Professional Student Federation will split and become two separate forms of student governance at UNC.
  • Mike Pence insists the race is not over for Donald Trump. The Republican VP nominee accused the media of having unfair influence on the election and discussed the difference between Trump and Hillary Clinton’s economic plans at a rally in Greensboro Monday.
  • Don’t let your dorm’s Community Living Standards restrictions cramp your Halloween style. Let us help you transform your dorm into a superbly spooky spectacle while still keeping your RA at bay.

IN SEXUAL ASSAULT

“Whenever I was talking to the first police officer at the hospital, I asked him about blind reporting, and he told me they didn’t have the blind reporting, which was false.”  R., a sexual assault survivor who wishes to remain anonymous, nearly chose not to file a case following her attack. When her mind changed, though, she asked for an investigation through the University instead of the police — just one option survivors can take.

IN INCLUSIVITY

North Carolina is seriously lacking in nondiscrimination laws. The Human Rights Campaign released its fifth annual Municipal Equality Index, which aims to score cities based on LGBTQ inclusivity, on Monday. This year, 60 cities nationwide scored a full 100 points. But all North Carolina cities that were scored, including Chapel Hill, received zero out of 30 potential points for nondiscrimination laws.

IN LEGENDS AND LORE

Wilson Library wants to freak you out. Haunted North Carolina,” a new exhibit located on the second floor of the library, displays newspaper articles and books related to the creepiest ghost stories and legends our fine state has to offer. All of the tales, which include “The Legend of Peter Dromgoole” and “The Mysterious Maco Light,” come from the library’s larger collection of ghost stories and books related to North Carolina. Honestly, though, the pure fanciness of building intimidates people so much already, they hardly needed the exhibit.

IN CHILLIN' OUT, MAXIN', RELAXIN' ALL COOL

Seriously, friends: please take a break! We at the DTH consider self-care to be of the utmost importance (as everybody should!) and want to take a second today to remind you that it is okay not to dedicate every spare moment to studying. Take a walk, grab some dinner, watch Netflix — something! You'll burn out fast if you don't take a breather.