DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Artsy fartsy edition

Dear DTH faithful,

I like to think of these weekly At a Glances as my letters to you, the readers. I will most likely never meet any of you, but I definitely feel like this letter connects us across space and time, or something like that. And as I sit in the bowels of the DTH office and write this letter way too late at night, I can't help but feel that you guys are out there listening to me ramble about my life. 

Or maybe I'm just indulging myself, and have been reading too much into these art articles. Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre in particular has me feeling some kind of way. They use spoken word and poetry to talk about issues facing people of color. 

I'm going to be honest, when EROT member Wesley Simmons said "I feel like creation is the most important thing you can do as a human being," I really had to sit down and think. When was the last time I created something? Does this newsletter count? 

I should probably go to sleep. 

— Leah

QUICK HITS

• I was going to make a joke about how we've all seen "All My Children," until I realized I haven't even seen "All My Children." But Melissa Claire Egan, who played Annie, apparently rehearsed for four hours every night while she was at UNC, which makes me wonder if the DTH is my personal soap opera. 
  • As a self-proclaimed TV (Netflix) addict, I have seen every episode of The Office, Master of None, Daredevil and many others not mentioned in this column. Which makes me wonder — is Netflix taking over all outside programming? Will we even have cable in the future? This is too much for me right now. 
  • Most of us celebrate Memorial Day by going to the beach and drinking one too many beers. But did you know it actually started as a remembrance day for people that fought in the Civil War? (I didn't either, until one weird trivia night at my favorite bar.) We even had a Confederate Memorial Day for a while, which makes this editorial even more intriguing. 
  • On Saturday mornings during football season, you can catch me in my bedroom sleeping until noon, then shotgunning a beer before I head on over to Kenan with my fellow Tar Heels. But if you're in Marching Band, your mornings are a lot busier. 
  • There's a band called Crystal Tit. As in tits made of crystals. As in you have to read this article on UNC students and their bands. 

AT A GLANCE RECOMMENDS

We're back at it again with those fun weekend plans.