DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Macabre Monday

The weekend may be over, but the festivities surely aren't! Here's some headlines to kickstart your week:

QUICK HITS

• The Marching Tar Heels have some brand-new additions: first-year majorettes Ava Smith and Ciara Gillis are the first baton-wielding performers the band has had in years.
  • The U.S. Department of Education rescinded 72 policy guidelines for students with disabilities. Here's what that could mean for UNC.
  • Keith Hanson plans on going the distance — 300 miles, to be exact. The Chapel Hill resident will run the path of the rivers of South Carolina, from Cedar Mountain to Folly Beach, in 72 hours.

SPORTS!

• The football team almost did enough to upset No. 9 Miami for homecoming, but ultimately lost the game 24-19. First-year Beau Corrales shined on Saturday, bringing the team two touchdowns in the matchup.
  • In an exhibition match against Barton College, senior Theo Pinson made big plays to bring the basketball team to a 91-80 victory. Junior Luke Maye also stepped up his game to lead the team with 18 points.
  • The rowing team made a big splash this weekend, finishing fifth at the men's collegiate fours in Boston.
  • “It’s very emotional, knowing this is your last year at UNC." In a 3-0 victory against Notre Dame, the men's soccer team celebrated their seniors while locking the No. 2 seed in the upcoming ACC tournament.

HALLOWEEEEEEN

• Scare-olina Skies at Morehead Planetarium presented cultural star stories with a spooky twists to its children, parents and UNC students on Sunday
  • "A culture is not a costume." Students and professors weigh in on how they view cultural appropriation as it applies to Halloween costumes.
  • OPINION: Still putting together your Halloween costume? Here's some food for thought on dressing up for October 31.