DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Hey, mom

My mom graduated from UNC in 1988. Growing up, I heard about UNC like a utopia — the "Southern part of Heaven," the basketball capital of the world, the place that gave my mom the best years of her life. 

Now that I’m a senior, the illusion is a little shot. In the three years I’ve spent here, I’ve seen that UNC is far from having it figured out (see: anything that’s happened in the last week). But there’s still a love there, and still an appreciation for the life it’s given my mom and the life it’s helped give me. 

There’s a lot of beauty in Carolina, in the traditions that my mom and I share. I can call my mom and talk to her about streakers on LDOC, pint nights at He’s Not, Thursdays at Linda's. Hell, my mom and I have even discussed which (somewhat) clean frat bathrooms to use on nights out with our friends. 

This week has shown that some history at Carolina is deserving of a conversation — regardless of the side you’re on. But some history just makes Carolina home. 

For Jamil Kadoura, his legacy in Chapel Hill has spanned the last 27 years, since he opened Mediterranean Deli. 

Our campus 

Speaking of legacies, the court of the Smith Center was dedicated to head coach Roy Williams on Aug. 24 in a private basketball reunion. Assistant sports editor Jack Frederick took a look into the monumental success that Williams has experienced in his time so far at Carolina. 

You've probably heard something going around about how Silent Sam may or may not have to be replaced to its original position within 90 days. Don't worry — we had questions, too. 

Our town 

Looking for date night plans? The Eco-Institute at Pickards Mountain will be hosting "Farm-to-Table Dinners"  on four separate dates through November to celebrate local food and the community. 

Our state

Deadlines creep up on you, don't they? In 2010, the Health NC 2020 launched in an effort to make North Carolinians healthier across the state. Now that the due date is creeping up, the N.C. Division of Public Health is reporting that our health is actually declining. Yikes. 

Is it too early to worry about graduation? According the North Carolina Department of Commerce, the unemployment rate has declined since July 2017. Even better, professional and business jobs are leading the race. Be still, my heart. 

Things to do 

Cheer on your fellow Heels! At 8 p.m. on ESPN2, alums Jessica Breland of the Atlanta Dream and LaToya Sanders of the Washington Mystics will share the court in the semifinal series for the WNBA. 

"Legacy, what is a legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see!" 

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton