DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH Sports Fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

The missing piece

In his first season on the North Carolina men's basketball team, Justin Jackson fought through shooting slumps and confidence issues as he attempted to grasp his role on the team.

But entering his sophomore season, the UNC wing has a firm understanding of who he is and what his team is capable of this season.

Read Sports Editor Pat James' story here.

His name in the rafters

North Carolina point guard Marcus Paige — who enters his senior season focused on leaving his legacy — will miss the next two or three weeks of play with a broken bone in his right hand. But when he does return, he might be the best he's ever been in a UNC uniform.

Read Senior Writer Carlos Collazo's story here.

ACC features quality competition

The North Carolina men's basketball team will take on some of the toughest programs in college basketball this season, highlighted by its conference slate.

Check out this interactive graphic to learn more about the other teams in the ACC.

Head to dailytarheel.com for more coverage from The Daily Tar Heel's basketball preview issue.

'Another step forward, another leap'

North Carolina women's soccer player Hanna Gardner grew up in the Chapel Hill area watching the Tar Heels as much as she could. Her confidence ultimately led her to join the team, and it's also helped guide her through multiple injuries.

Read staff writer Christian Phillip's story here.

Looking ahead

• North Carolina women's tennis player Hayley Carter will continue playing in the singles competition at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships on Friday in Flushing Meadows, New York. She will also continue play in the doubles portion of the tournament with Whitney Kay.
  • North Carolina men's tennis players Brett Clark and Robert Kelly will continue playing in the doubles competition at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships on Friday in Flushing Meadows, New York.
  • The North Carolina fencing team will open play in the Kansas City North American Cup on Friday in Kansas City. The event ends on Monday.
  • The North Carolina cross country team will compete in the NCAA Southeast Regional on Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team will open its season at 3:30 p.m. on Friday against Gardner-Webb before hosting Oregon at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina swimming and diving team will compete against Texas in dual-meet action starting at 4 p.m. on Friday at Koury Natatorium.
  • The North Carolina women's soccer team hosts Liberty at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team begins its 2015-16 season against Temple at 7 p.m. on Friday in Annapolis, Maryland. The Tar Heels will then host Fairfield in their home opener at 4 p.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina volleyball team hosts Pittsburgh at 7:30 p.m. on Friday before playing Virginia Tech at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday in Carmichael Arena.
  • The North Carolina field hockey team hosts Boston University at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Championship.
  • The North Carolina football team hosts Miami at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at Kenan Stadium.
  • The North Carolina wrestling team opens play in the Northeast Duals in Troy, New York starting at 9:20 a.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina junior varsity men's basketball team hosts the Mount Olive junior varsity team at 1 p.m. on Sunday.