On The Wire

North Carolinians disapprove of Obama's economic policies

The poll showed 51 percent of North Carolina adults strongly disapprove or disapprove of the Obama’s economic policy while only 44 percent strongly approve or approve.

Only 27 percent of those surveyed said they believe the Obama’s economic policy has had a positive effect and just 38 percent strongly support or support the idea of further government stimulus.

UNC economics professor Ralph Byrns said he supports the current policies but more highways, roads and infrastructure should be built to stimulate the economy.

Byrns said the stimulus package was not large enough. He said the insufficient funding might cause a double-dip recession.

“We need to be ready to raise taxes once we are at full employment,” Byrns said.

What you said:

Results from an admittedly unscientific and informal poll of students at Lenoir Dining Hall showed UNC students still approve of Obama’s economic policies.

One of those students, UNC freshman Linden Wait, said the spending by the Obama administration will prove effective over time. Wait pointed out Obama started his term in difficult circumstances.

There were still some students who disagreed.

UNC student Jordan Wilson said she agreed with the Elon poll in disapproving of the current policies.

“The deficit is too big,” Wilson said. “We cannot spend our way to wealth.”

She also said she hopes the Republicans will win in November and implement a different economic policy.