On The Wire

Results of the most comprehensive sex study released

Sex, sex and more sex at Indiana University.

The Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Indiana University recently conducted the most comprehensive survey on sexual health and behavior in 20 years.

“There has been research but not at the national level and not perhaps as representative,” said Vanessa Schick, one of the researchers and a post-doctoral fellow at the center.

Participants were asked everything from whether or not they use condoms and how much vaginal and oral sex they have to whether or not condoms are pleasurable and how many orgasms they have recently
experienced.

The study is based on a sample representative of the U.S. population as defined by the U.S. Census and compiled through the company Knowledge Networks, Schick said.

Its 5,865 participants included adolescents and adults from ages 14 to 94.

Here are the findings that most people are talking about:

1) Men are having more orgasms: About 85 percent of men reported that their partner had an orgasm at the most recent sexual event compared to the 64 percent of women.

2) The kids are using condoms: In adolescents 14 to 17 years old, 76.3 percent of men and 63.2 percent of women reported using a condom during intercourse in a relationship and 84.2 percent of men and 88.9 percent of women reported doing so with casual partners.

3) It’s still a party with a party hat: Adults using a condom for intercourse were just as likely to rate the sexual experience positively in terms of arousal, pleasure and orgasm than when having intercourse without one.

UNC students and faculty agree this information will be beneficial.

“I think the benefits of doing these kind of studies is for students to understand that what they do sexually doesn’t necessarily mean what their identity is,” said Karen Booth, a UNC sexuality studies professor.

“They are important in general for health reasons,” said UNC sophomore Leah McCann.

Check out all the other results by downloading the free supplement at: https://iucsr.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ezfiTiID8olStWA