On The Wire

Student gets paid to stay off of Facebook

You’re on page 15 of that 20 page paper and you’re feeling like you might actually get to bed before midnight.

Then — that red bubble pops up on the top left of your Facebook page.

One clicks leads to another, you are stalking photographs of that girl you met once in your ECON 101 class and now it’s past midnight and you still have five pages to go.

Facebook — the blessing and the curse.

Most college students check their profile on a daily basis getting excited about new notifications or just checking out what their friends are up to through their status updates.

But one University of South Carolina student insists her Facebook days are over.

Alyssa Rushing made a deal with her mother, Melynda Rushing, that if she stayed off Facebook for a whole month and spent more time on her studies, her mother would giver her $300.

Rushing admits the first days were hard to deal with.

And for many UNC students, the addiction is the norm.

Junior religious studies and peace, war and defense double major C.J. Powell said he logs in around seven times a day and sometimes he might keep it open for hours.

“The most distracting thing is the mutual friends, because you start clicking and clicking and then you realize you’ve wasted a lot of time,” Powell said.

Powell said he realizes his Facebook habits take away from his studying time and he asked his friends to change his password during his first finals at UNC.

Other students like Emily Farnell, a junior majoring in religious studies, just rely on their will power to keep away from their Facebook profile.

“Once I gave it up for lent and that was really hard,” Farnell said. “The other times I had my friends change my password.”

Powell and Farnell agreed that $300 was a pretty good deal to get off Facebook for a month.

“I’m pitching the idea to my parents. They already offered $10,000 if I eloped instead of having a big reception,” Farnell said.