Pit Talk

Love the city of Durham? Now you can marry it

This month you can enter a non-conventional marriage in North Carolina, sans controversy.

On Saturday, March 19th you can Marry Durham and raise money for five non-profit organizations by entering a union with the nearby city. The ceremony is at 4pm and there is a parade and reception to follow. This fun, family friendly event will be complete with delicious local foods, dancing, and performances.

Where is it?
There will be a gathering downtown for the ceremony and the reception will be held on Rigsbee Avenue between Corporation and Geer Streets in downtown Durham.

How does it work?
Everyone is welcome to get married to Durham! There will be a $5 minimum donation asked at the door. For the minimum price, you can choose to either enter into a common-law marriage (no certificate) or to be a wedding guest. Marriage packages range from $20 to $500 and allow you receive an official Marry Durham marriage certificate. The wedding packages are as follows:

$20 – Shotgun wedding
$50 – Backyard wedding
$100 – Country Club wedding (get to this level and above you receive a free Marry Durham T-Shirt!)
$250 – Chelsea Clinton wedding
$500 – Beyonce’s ‘Put A Ring On It’ Wedding

Where does the money go?
ll proceeds of Marry Durham go to these five local non-profit organizations:
Eno River Association
Genesis Home
Latino Community Development Center
The Scrap Exchange
Walltown Children’s Theatre

Visit the event’s website for more information. If you decide to go, let us know what you thought of the event and leave comments below!