Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #100: Rush Franklin after beating Dook

UNC Bucket List is a weekly feature highlighting the 100 things students should attempt before they graduate. Check out the full bucket list and all previous Bucket List posts “”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/pit_talk/2011/02/unc_bucket_list

Bucket List Item Number 100: Rush Franklin Street after beating Dook and run all the way there.

Although we didn’t make it to the Final Four this year, we should be reminded that we had an incredible season and handily beat Dook in the Dean Dome. I was lucky enough to be able to stay and attend the game as a band member and, of course, rush Franklin Street afterwards.

I’ve had quite a few moments this year where I thought, “Ah, UNC really is the greatest place in the world.” But nothing quite matched the elation and excitement after our victory over Dook. I found myself being hugged by happy strangers as I left the Dean Dome, and I felt a bond with each and every fan wearing Carolina Blue. I have never had so much fun playing “Carolina Victory.”

By the time I made it to Franklin there were fires in the street, crowd surfers, and fire jumpers. I had heard about the rush to Franklin from alumni and older friends, but it was an interesting sight to see for myself.

The police attempted to clear the street several times before the shouting crowds finally dispersed. Because most students had already left for Spring Break the crowds were smaller than they would have been otherwise, but resilient nonetheless. We ran right behind the police cars as they moved slowly down the street only for the cars to turn around clear us out again.

I’ll never forget that rush of excitement and school pride, and for that reason I hope every student gets the chance to rush Franklin after a victory over Dook.