Pit Talk

Need help choosing classes? Here are some favorites

Now that class registration is upon us, many of us wonder what classes to sign up for. Of course, we have to take classes that count for general education or major requirements, but what classes will we use to fill in those gaps in our schedules?

Name: Micah Poulson
Major: Aerospace studies and history double major
Year: Junior
Favorite Class: Religion 181 – Later Islamic Civilization and Modern Muslim Cultures with Omid Safi. “He is a very entertaining and energetic teacher,” Poulson said. “I learned a lot about Islamic culture that I didn’t know before.”

Name: Jake Brown
Major: English
Year: Senior
“Favorite Class: English 230 – Milton. Brown said he liked the professor, Barbour, and the material, so it was a good combination. This class also fulfills three requirements!

Name: Starkeya Vinson
Major: Biology
Year: Sophomore
Favorite Class: Sociology 064 – First-Year Seminar: Equality of Educational Opportunity Then and Now. “I enjoyed the discussion about equal rights in education,” he said.
Favorite Professor: Marc Cohen, an English professor. “I went to office hours a lot and developed a personal relationship with him,” Vinson said.

Name: Nereida Almeida
Major: Psychology
Year: Sophomore
Favorite Class: Psychology 101 – General Pyschology with Professor Penn. “His teaching style is effective,” Almeida said. “He repeats things to make sure his students get everything down in their notes. He is a nice guy that genuinely cares for his students.”

Name: Justin Long
Major: Quantative Biology and Math Double Major
Year: Junior
Favorite Class: Physics 405 – Biological Physics with Dr. Superfine. “It is a really challenging class that expands the scope of science,” Long said. “People shouldn’t look for easy A classes, and this is not one of them.”

Name: Leo Vandoros
Major: Biology
Year: Sophomore
Favorite Class: English 142 – Film Analysis. “Professor Taylor is very knowledgeable and we watched lots of good movies,” he said. “It is also not a bad class for nap taking.”

Name: Tiffany Campbell
Major: Nursing
Year: Freshman
Favorite Class: Biology 101 – “It is interesting and I learned a lot,” she said. “Dr. Hogan is a really good professor and there are lots of opportunities to get help.”

Name: Cheryl Abumoussa
Major: Chemistry
Year: Freshman
Favorite class: Honors Economics 101 – Introductory Economics with Professor Turchi. “He is really smart and wants to get to know you,” Abumoussa said. “It is a discussion-based class, which makes it good.”

How about you? Tell us your favorite class by commenting below.