Town Talk

Grilled cheeses and baguettes hit the road again

When Cydneé Sims wanted to draw attention to the Orange County senior center, she thought food trucks would be the way to do it.

Sims invited five local food trucks to the Seymour Center and she said she was happy with the attention the rodeo brought to the center.

She said a lot of people in the community do not realize they have a local senior center they can access.

American Meltdown, Baguettaboutit and others filled the parking lot at the senior center on Homestead Road, welcoming visitors despite the rain.

Paul Inserra, co-owner and founder of American Meltdown, said he and his wife came to Durham to start their truck business because the city needed entrepreneurs and small food businesses. Inserra, who grew up in the Bronx, N.Y., said he’d needed a fresh start during the economic recession.

“I lost my job, my wife lost her job. That’s why it’s called American Meltdown,” he said.

Inserra said all of their sandwiches have different inspirations — they all come from different places with different spins.

He also said he was experimenting with selling truffles from a food truck with a new $32 black truffle sandwich.

Baguettaboutit sells unique baguette sandwiches — the baguettes are hollowed out and filled with a variety of sausages and sauces.

Kelly Kirkland, a “truckista” at Baguettaboutit said the four partners who started the truck were inspired by their experiences in Europe with similar sandwiches. She said no other truck in America shares the same concept.

Members of the community were all eager to try the gourmet food truck dishes.

Chapel Hill resident Michelle Harris said she was ready to help anyone making a living and having fun.

Megan Tirpak, a Durham resident, said she loved Baguettaboutit and decided to come when she saw a sign advertising the rodeo. She likes food trucks because it’s less expensive for the owners, the food is good and customers have to be devoted to the truck to find it and eat there.

“You really have to want it,” she said.

Seating was provided inside the Seymour Center, which gave employees an opportunity to give tours and have a showcase.

Sims said she chose to welcome food trucks so the event could bring people together — not gain a profit.

“It’s more than just making money. It’s more about community,” she said.