Town Talk

Orange County Board of Commissioners tackle plans to keep sex-oriented businesses and overcrowded car lots out of the county

Monday, at the quarterly Orange County Board of Commissioners public hearing, Michael Harvey, supervisor of the Orange County current planning division, presented proposed amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance, which establishes standards and regulations for development of Orange County.

Harvey said the planning division proposed enforcing more regulations on sexual-oriented businesses because the county is unable to prohibit them outright.

He proposed the county require mandatory setbacks for sexual-oriented businesses which would separate the businesses 1,000 feet from schools, places of worship and other family-centered areas.

“There are two properties in Orange County that would allow for the development of sex-oriented businesses,” Harvey said.

In addition to the setbacks, Harvey proposed the prohibition of alcohol from sexual-oriented businesses.

Earl McKee, Board of Commissioners chair, said he would support the ban on alcohol because it would make it more difficult for sexual-oriented businesses to operate.

Commissioner Penny Rich was concerned about the definition of nudity in the amendment.

“Why wouldn’t we just put something in there about a male or female being topless in these places as opposed to picking on women’s breasts,” she said. “It’s concerning because we’re constantly looking at a woman’s body as dirty and disgusting where the man’s body isn’t.”

Commissioner Mark Dorosin said the specificity in the definition was necessary.

“It’s designed to keep actual live sex shows from taking place,” he said.

Harvey also presented a proposed amendment to limit the number of display cars allowed in car sales lot.

McKee didn’t agree with limiting the number allowed in a neighborhood commercial zone to 25 cars per acre. He suggested all lots be limited to 45 cars per acre to avoid increasing the number of car lots in neighborhood areas and increase equity throughout the county.

“It would seem to me more reasonable to allow a slight bit more density in the number of vehicles rather than forcing an owner to go through a quite arduous process,” McKee said.

The board adjourned the public forum until their regular meeting on Feb. 2, where the board will wrap up the process of amending the Unified Development Ordinance.

Notable: 

The board also discussed how legislature will impact the county’s erosion control and storm water programs.

Quotable: 

“If the waiters were dressed in their bathing suits, and that was part of the business, then where does the line get crossed?” said Commissioner Barry Jacobs.

@janna_childers