Tar Heels take flight in exhibition game

North Carolina beat Belmont Abbey 112-34 Friday night.

Feature
Feature

If Friday night was any indication, Chapel Hill might have to be renamed Dunk City.

The No. 6 North Carolina Tar Heels essentially ran dunking practice on Belmont Abbey, throwing down slam after slam and running the outmatched Crusader’s off the court for a 112-34 win in the final exhibition game of the year.

But that still wasn’t good enough for Coach Roy Williams

“They still look like a Model T. Ford out there compared to the way I want them to run,” Williams said. “It’s nowhere near where I want it to be, but I think we’re going to get there.”

Freshman forward Justin Jackson led the team with 16 points, while sophomore forwards Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks contributed 14 each. Jackson took another step towards cementing a place in the starting lineup, playing well beyond his years.

“He has a knack for the ball finding his hands,” Williams said. “He’s naturally an instinctive basketball player that makes the right pass.”

Nothing went the Crusader’s way the entire night. They shot a miserable 28 percent from the floor, and only one player scored in double figures. The length and athleticism of the Tar Heels created major problems for them on offense. Junior forward J.P. Tokoto and Jackson both have the skillset to play shooting guard and small forward, and the duo helped UNC record 19 steals on the night.

“We’re pretty long between the two and the three, and both of those guys are quick,” sophomore guard Nate Britt said. “I feel like that does play a big advantage for us.”

The only thing that didn’t go well for the Tar Heels was their outside shooting. The team shot 3-12 from 3-point range, with Paige, Britt and freshman guard Joel Berry making one apiece. The freshmen trio of Berry, Jackson and forward Theo Pinson, expected to give a boost to UNC’s shooting, went 1-6.

But if the Tar Heels continue to excel in finding opportunities in transition, it might not matter.

Tokoto justified his No. 7 ranking on ESPN’s top ten list of best returning dunkers. He had two monstrous slams that caused the Dean Dome to erupt.

Not to be outdone, Pinson added another one-handed slam over a defender and back-to-back dunks in the second half that brought the crowd to its feet.

“Me, Brice and Theo kind of have a competition on who can dunk the most and who has the best dunks,” Tokoto said. “We had that going tonight, and it was kind of fun.”

The Tar Heels are long, athletic and perfectly suited to run the type of fast-paced offense Williams prefers. And if they get up to speed, Belmont Abbey won’t be the only team they run off the court.

Chapel Hill might not get renamed Dunk City. But Tokoto has it covered. He’s narrowed down a title for himself, Pinson, and junior forward Brice Johnson.

“Flight brothers … just because there’s three of us now,” said Tokoto behind a laugh.

“We’re going to go with that.”