UNC men's basketball vs. Louisville: A closer look

The two top-15 teams will square off for the second time this season.

The Tar Heels are 17-4 overall and 7-1 in ACC play, while the Cardinals are 17-3 overall and 5-2 in conference play. Here are a couple of storylines The Daily Tar Heel has highlighted for Saturday’s 4 p.m. tipoff.

The series

The Tar Heels lead the overall series 10-3 and the Cardinals haven’t walked away the victors since they won 97-80 on Dec. 23, 1999. Both Roy Williams and Rick Pitino are Hall of Fame coaches, and Pitino has never defeated UNC as a head coach.

When he was at the helm of Kentucky’s program, the Tar Heels beat the Wildcats three times, and have since defeated Louisville three times. UNC is 0-2 at Louisville and has only played there twice since 1929. In 1929, Louisville won 27-19.

The last matchup

When Louisville traveled to Chapel Hill Jan. 10, in comeback fashion the Tar Heels won it by a point in the final seconds. Junior point guard Marcus Paige electrified the Smith Center when he penetrated though the lane and made a left-handed layup with 8.5 seconds remaining.

Earlier in the second half, Paige had been sidelined temporarily after turning his right ankle as a result of stepping on Montrezl Harrell’s foot. But once he returned, the Iowa native was soon a hero and helped UNC climb out of a double-digit hole to rally.

Pitino said at the time that moving past that loss wouldn’t be easy.

“It’s about as bad a loss as we’ve had,” he said on Jan. 10. “This stings as much as any game I’ve coached.”

Backcourt battle

Terry Rozier and Chris Jones are one of the most lethal backcourt duos defensively in the ACC. The two stack up second and third in the conference in steals per game, with 2.11 and 2.05 respectively.

The duo’s quick hands could be a test for the Tar Heels, who, with four guards out with injuries, lack much more depth than they did just a few weeks ago when the Cardinals came to town.

Joel Berry is out with a strained groin, Theo Pinson fractured a metatarsal in his left foot, and Paige still battles plantar fasciitis.

UNC will rely on Paige and reserve Nate Britt, who played the best game of his career in Monday’s win against Syracuse.