UNC basketball players Pinson and Hicks talk of UNC media day

The UNC women's golf team participated in the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational at Finley Golf Course all weekend long.

Prior to the North Carolina men’s basketball team’s seventh preseason practice, Coach Roy Williams and his returning players spoke with the media at the Smith Center on Monday.

‘Take it slow’

Following J.P. Tokoto’s NBA departure, sophomore wing Theo Pinson has an opportunity to play a key role in UNC’s backcourt.

But after undergoing offseason foot surgery, Pinson must be fully cleared to practice before staking his claim for a starting role.

“Theo has not done one full-court drill yet,” Williams said. 

“He didn’t play a pickup game all summer. We’ve restricted him to half-court stuff the first six practices and gave him one of them off completely. We’re still trying to be very cautious with what we’re doing.”

Pinson, who averaged 2.8 points and 3 rebounds per game during the 2014-15 season, fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot in an 87-71 win at Wake Forest on Jan. 21. 

He suffered the same injury as a junior at Wesleyan Christian Academy in High Point.

The injury forced him to miss the next 10 games before returning and seeing limited minutes in five of UNC’s final nine games. On May 4, he underwent surgery to repair the damage to his foot.

While the injury has kept Pinson from participating fully in practice, it hasn’t affected his preparation for this season.

“I couldn’t get as much on-the-court work as everybody else, but at the same time, I feel like I’ve done very well of catching back up to everybody else,” he said. 

“In the weight room, I’m back full-strength, all that. That hasn’t been a problem.”

During Monday’s practice, Pinson participated in multiple full-court drills. Williams said Pinson will be fully released after the first three weeks of practice, but the sophomore knows he needs to remain patient.

“My teammates, they’re telling me take it slow because they really want me to be on the court this year,” Pinson said. 

“I know how important I am to this team and how my foot can hurt me if I don’t take it slow and listen to the doctor.”

‘A big, strong rascal’

According to Williams, junior forward Isaiah Hicks was the first person mentioned by former and current players when asked who has impressed during summer pickup games. 

“He really looks good,” Williams said. 

“He passes the look test. He gets an A-plus on that part of it. Now I hope he passes it when he’s playing on the court, too. He’s worked hard. His body is good — he is a big, strong rascal, and he’s done some nice things for us.”

After averaging only 1.2 points in 7.3 minutes per game as a freshman, Hicks was the co-recipient of the Tar Heels’ most improved player award this past season and was named UNC’s defensive player of the game a team-high 13 times.

During the 2014-15 campaign, the former five-star recruit led all bench players with 6.6 points per game. This season, he might be reaching his potential.

“We all knew Isaiah could be a really good player since the day he stepped on campus,” senior forward Joel James said. 

“His freshman year in pickup games and everything, he’d dominate the game. He’s finally starting to translate that over into practice and playing regular games. We expect a big year out of him, and I know he expects that out of himself.

@patjames24