UNC men's basketball defies adversity in chaotic win over Boston College

SPORTS BKC-UNC-BOSTONCOLL 7 RA

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams is escorted off the court by head athletic trainer Doug Halverson, left, and game staff early in the second half against Boston College on Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016, at Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Williams appeared to faint and sat on the floor surrounded by players during the time out, and had trouble getting to his feet, before being assisted off the court. Assistant coach Steve Robinson took over in Williams absence as play resumed. (Robert Willett/Raleigh News & Observer/TNS)

The No. 9 North Carolina men’s basketball team was supposed to toy with the lowly Boston College Eagles, not trail them.

Coach Roy Williams’ lineup shuffle was supposed to send his team a message, not send it into mayhem.

And Williams’ health scare in the second half was supposed to inhibit the Tar Heels, not inspire them.

But in the end, order was restored — in the most unorthodox of ways.

UNC (20-4, 9-2 ACC) stormed back from a disjointed 36 minutes of basketball to survive a furious effort from the Eagles (7-17, 0-11 ACC), as the Tar Heels snatched a 68-65 win in Conte Forum.

Entering Tuesday’s game, North Carolina was reeling from its first two-game skid of the season, with both losses coming at the hands of conference opponents.

And with ACC cellar-dweller Boston College next on the docket, the coaches took a chance. Out with Justin Jackson, Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks. In with Theo Pinson, Joel James and Isaiah Hicks.

It was time to shake things up.

“Sometimes (players) have to go to the bench,” guard Marcus Paige said. “Or find other ways to light a fire under them.”

It backfired.

The Tar Heels missed six of their first seven shots and fell behind early. When the starters returned, the deficit grew.

“We just didn’t come out and play like we were supposed to,” Jackson said.

Neither team did. The Eagles were supposed to play like a team without a win in the calendar year. And despite its recent woes, UNC was supposed to play like a team anointed the preseason No. 1.

But behind the isolation magic of Boston College guard Eli Carter — who led all scorers with 26 points — the roles were reversed.

“They still kept on hitting shots, and we never got the lead,” Jackson said.

The one-point deficits dangled like low-hanging fruit. But for every punch, the Eagles countered. A stepback 3-pointer from Carter, a vicious dunk from 7-footer Dennis Clifford — Conte Forum was the birthplace of a miracle.

And then, Williams fell.

A spell of vertigo sent the North Carolina coach to the locker room, his team trailing by five and desperate for a spark.

But in his absence, a fire burned.

“When Coach went down, they just — human nature,” said assistant coach Steve Robinson, who took over for Williams for the final 14:35 of the second half. “You’ve got to rally." 

Before long, the tide shifted.

And when Paige sunk a 3-pointer through contact with 1:47 remaining, the mission was complete.

Their leader was missing — but the lead was theirs.

“Coach wouldn’t want it any other way,” Robinson said.

Williams would disagree. He wanted to coach the final minutes. He wanted to address his players as the buzzer sounded. And above all, he wanted to not be a distraction.

It wasn’t how it was supposed to happen — not for Williams, not for UNC and not even for Boston College.

But even the most chaotic of contests counts toward the win column.

@CJacksonCowart