Marcus Paige, Indiana's Yogi Ferrell meet again in Sweet 16

Nate Britt (0) and Marcus Paige (5) run drills at practice.

PHILADELPHIA — As two of the best point guards in the Midwest, and in the country, Marcus Paige and Indiana’s Yogi Ferrell’s battles ensued long before college.

Growing up in Iowa and Indiana, respectively, the duo often met in AAU tournaments and elite individual camps, where their respectful rivalry took shape.

“I’ve been playing against him since ninth grade …” said Paige of Ferrell on Tuesday. “Basically every weekend we were playing each other in the championship game of some tournament.”

Now, with the end of their college careers looming, Paige and Ferrell meet again, as top-seeded North Carolina and fifth-seeded Indiana face off in the Sweet 16 on Friday in Philadelphia.

Neither player has ever advanced past the Sweet 16, but whoever wins on Friday can finally stake that claim — and possibly earn final bragging rights.

“I’ve been around him for years, (but) not since I guess freshman year when we played up at Indiana,” Paige said. “He’s a good player, and me and him have been going at it, trying to be the best point guard in our class, for a long time.

“So it will be good to see him out on the court again.”

The Tar Heels struggled the last time Paige and Ferrell met.

Both players were first-years in 2012, when No. 1 Indiana hosted UNC in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Bloomington, Ind. The Hoosiers ultimately handed the Tar Heels an 83-59 loss.

Paige finished the game with 11 points and three assists, while Ferrell recorded two points and six assists. But much has changed since then.

Ferrell played alongside multiple NBA prospects in his first season, but he’s developed into a better scorer since then. Indiana’s senior leader averaged 17.1 points per game this season, earning him All-American honors.

“What he's done this year is he's totally taken his leadership to another place,” said Indiana coach Tom Crean of Ferrell. “And I think that's what's made him even that much more of an incredible player, because he not only leads his teammates but he shares — he talks to them constantly.”

Paige’s role has also evolved since he last played Ferrell.

After playing point guard for his first three seasons in Chapel Hill, Paige has primarily played shooting guard this season. But Ferrell still sees the elite point guard he matched up with throughout high school.

“He’s always been a great guard, very solid and very deceptive of what he does,” said Ferrell of Paige. “He can shoot the lights out from deep, is a great passer and is a great assist guy.”

Paige still keeps up with Ferrell. Although Paige hasn’t played his McDonald’s All-American game teammate in three years, their history has influenced Paige to follow Ferrell from afar.

“I always follow people in our class,” Paige said. “Because you play so much with them in the summer circuit and stuff that when everyone goes their separate ways, you always follow them from afar and see how they’re doing. And if you see them on TV, you’ll watch and see what’s going on.

“He’s had a great career.”

Paige has, too. But for either player to continue their college career by at least one more game, they’ll once again have to get past the other.

@patjames24