Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Marcus Paige selected by Jazz at No. 55

Marcus Paige (5) makes a three-point shot in the last five seconds of the National Championship game, which tied the score 74-74.

After a record-setting career at UNC, Marcus Paige is taking his talents to Utah.

Despite being widely considered as an undrafted prospect in Thursday's NBA Draft in Brooklyn, the senior guard was selected at No. 55 by the Brooklyn Nets and subsequently traded to the Jazz.

The last shot of Paige's collegiate career was a memorable one, sinking a double-clutch 3-pointer with 4.7 seconds left in a 77-74 loss to Villanova in the NCAA title game.

But much like his championship performance, Paige's career was riddled with highs and lows.

A four-year starter for North Carolina, Paige earned second-team All-America honors in his sophomore season, averaging 17.5 points and 4.2 assists and garnering first-round interest.

But after entering this past season as the ACC Preseason Co-Player of the Year, the senior struggled offensively — scoring 12.6 points per game and shooting 35.6 percent from beyond the arc — as his draft stock plummeted.

At 6-foot-2 and 164 pounds, Paige's slight frame and shooting inconsistencies, along with his lack of elite athleticism, nearly sent him to the ranks of the undrafted.

But UNC's all-time leader in 3-pointers has a high basketball IQ and a knack for scoring, and an impressive 6-foot-6 wingspan likely helped him sneak into the second round.

Paige will struggle to find minutes in Utah, where lottery picks Trey Burke and Dante Exum occupy a crowded backcourt.

But if he demonstrates the same instincts and drive as he did in college, the former UNC star has a chance to make his name in the NBA.

@CJacksonCowart