UNC denies Daily Tar Heel's request for sexual assault records

The University has declined The Daily Tar Heel's request for all records of people found responsible for rape, sexual assault and misconduct by University entities.

The DTH, among the news organizations, requested the records on Sept. 30 and set Oct. 28 as the deadline for receiving them.

In a letter to DTH Editor-in-Chief Jane Wester and general manager Betsy O'Donovan, Vice Chancellor of Communications and Public Affairs Joel Curran said he understood the interest in advocacy but that releasing records would be devastating for survivors.

"Carolina is committed to providing as much information as we can about issues that affect the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff," Curran said. "However, as noted above, federal privacy law requires the University to protect the educational records of students (beyond basic public directory information) and consider the well-being of the campus community."

Wester said she appreciated the respectful response, and now the DTH will speak with its partners. She believes the logical next step will be a lawsuit against the University.

"We're willing to go to court for it," Wester said.

The Daily Tar Heel has been a voice for the UNC and Chapel Hill community for more than 120 years — and continues to train the next generation to enter careers in independent, thoughtful, public-service journalism. To make sure of it, we receive no money from the University.

We firmly believe our newspaper should be free for every member of our community. To ensure the DTH remains an independent voice for our readers, we ask for your support. Become a friend of The Daily Tar Heel, and help make sure we can continue our quality and independence.