DTH at a Glance

This newsletter is brought to you by Urban Dictionary, probably.

You'd probably think a newsroom comprising almost exclusively 18- to 22-year-olds would be up to date on the latest teen lingo. Same as yesterday, you'd be wrong. Our managing editor, who was once described as having been "bit by a mom" and whom I sometimes affectionately call Grandpa, has the pop culture knowledge of a real-life Kimmy Schmidt.

Last night, I took it upon myself to teach her the ins and outs of terms that are popular with the youth in my circles right now. Some people in the office are still a little confused by some of the phrasing — so rather than using it in a sentence, I'll use it in the entirety of a newsletter. I hope you take advantage of this free learning opportunity.

We'll start easy: Today is the last day for you to utterly drag DTH at a Glance in this anonymous survey. So, if we're hecking up, we want to know. Spill all the truth tea you need, but let me live, OK?

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The Shakori Hills music festival just returned to Chapel Hill for its 12th year.
  • Yesterday, Chapel Hill celebrated its quarterly "Shred-A-Thon" event to offer residents and local businesses a way to dispose of private papers.
  • The singer of "Come on Get Higher," a song the rest of the office assured me that normal people know, is coming to Cat's Cradle tonight.
  • The Democratic primary for U.S. Senate is less than six months away, and the only contenders have roughly the brand recognition of Taylor Swift's Target exclusives.

IN WEIRD THINGS ON THE QUAD

Who's behind the appearance of those giant wooden boxes in the quad? My unthoughtful, gut answer to this was "Carol, probably." And like, kind of! The 2015 Chancellor's Innovation Summit aims to use the displays to share how people affiliated with UNC are solving the world's problems and questions, from malaria to the creation of the universe.

IN YEARLY CHECKUPS

One year after marriage equality came to the Tar Heel state, LGBT residents look toward what's next. The local LGBT community highlights what struggles it still faces in spite of — or sometimes compounded by — the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage. Anti-discrimination laws, transgender health care and identity erasure are all next steps on our secret agenda.

IN THROWIN' SHADE

UNC is in discussion with Uber to offer free rides to students around campus. Thanks to an anonymous donor, a trial run of the initiative might happen before the end of the month. I know you probably already heard about this from The Tab, but we 1) have explanations straight from the Houston's mouth, and 2) actually know how to use the phrase "in lieu of." Read our story instead.

IN THE BLOGS

We tracked down the potential Nobel Prize winners of tomorrow, and they were all coincidentally UNC students. Inspired by professor Aziz Sancar's award earlier this week, we set out to determine who among us would follow in his footsteps. Mostly just because future HoJo rappellers are a lot harder to predict.

If you need any help being bitter and lonely this season, we're pros here at The Daily Tar Heel's online desk. Have you started getting weird, uncharacteristic thoughts about human intimacy? Skip WebMD; one of our writers has five tips to return you to the cold, unfeeling hag you were born to be. It's a phase, and we'll get through this together.