DTH at a Glance

I'd like to apologize in advance for how seriously I take sea turtles

There's a really small place on the coast of North Carolina where I've had the joy of spending two summer vacations. It's a place I've heard locals refer to as BYOB, or "bring your own boy," as testament to the quality of their neighbors.

It's called Topsail, and if you're wondering, you're supposed to intentionally mispronounce that as "Topsull." The most beautiful quality about it is that it has a mother-hecking sea turtle hospital — which, by the way, just admitted 1,000 turtles in 15 days due to freakishly cold weather lately. I've visited twice, and both times could be summarized by the following dialogue:

Volunteer: This turtle's name is Crush.

Girl, mumbling: Like from "Finding Nemo."

Volunteer: So he's actually named that because he was hit by a boat.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Local farms just earned national recognition for their pickles, and we have an entire story describing those vegetative abominations in revolting, pickle-y detail.
  • very brave Phineas Sandi was named one of five 2016 St. Baldrick's Foundation ambassadors after battling through leukemia at age 7.
  • Some guy from "Glee" is performing at the Student Union in the Great Hall on Friday.
  • When Katie Grout took over Chapel Ridge, there were close to 200 maintenance requests that had backed up under previous management. Which doesn't sound all that impressive if you've ever seen Kelsey's Gmail inbox.

IN CAMPUS UPDATES

A UNC employee was hospitalized after an accident in a Dey Hall electrical closet yesterday. The incident occurred around 4 p.m. when multiple buildings around central campus lost power. The Chapel Hill Fire Department and UNC Environment Health and Safety officials are investigating.

IN DEPRESSING NEWS

There are 1,000 sea turtles in sea-turtle urgent care, so stop complaining about being cold. Officials at the rehabilitation center near Topsail Island said cold weather makes turtle bodies shut down and stop moving. "Big deal, mine too," you're probably saying. The difference is they're endangered. And cute.

IN TOWN NEWS

Chapel Hill Transit is drafting its recommendation for a new bus route and wants residents' input. My input is to have the exact same route as the F but to make the new bus actually show up more frequently than I show up to Sunday brunch plans.

IN PAPER CUTS

Approximately 88,000 pieces of paper were printed on UNC's campus last semester. That equals roughly 132 pages per person, according to a person on staff I trust to do third grade math. In total, the University prints about eight million pages a year now, down from the nearly 30 million before UNC switched to CCI printing.

IN THE BLOGS

If you need something to do this weekend, you have several options: crying, going to Open Eye, going to Cat's Cradle, asking to pet people's dogs. Or staying in your room and pray for an impending, Ragnarok-esque winter apocalypse. Whatever you're feeling.