DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Pass this on to at least 10 friends

There are few things I hate more than those creepy chain emails from middle school. I so much prefer the funny (albeit NSFW) chain texts people send now that don’t threaten to make a ghost girl appear in your room at midnight. Those would all go the exact same way:

“Once you start reading this you can’t stop or else! My name is (insert creepy grandmother name). I was killed by my stepmother and my body was hidden in the woods in an old, rickety cabin next to a well. Now, I want revenge on my stepmother. Pass this on to 10 friends to help me find her, or else I’ll appear on your ceiling tonight.”

I always got ridiculously scared and tried to pretend that I never read anything, so I never figured out if the legends were true. But if you don’t share this newsletter with at least 10 friends, who knows. You might find out for yourself.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• The Charlotte Observer is suing Gov. Pat McCrory after their public records request for emails regarding HB2 was quickly acknowledged and promptly ignored.
  • Voters found love in a hopeless place at Sunday’s presidential debate, giving up on both candidates to devote their attention to undecided voter Ken Bone and his little red sweater.
  • Coming off media day Tuesday, UNC basketball is ready to turn last season's heartbreak into a year of success.
  • Gov. Pat McCrory and challenger Roy Cooper exchanged blows and dragged each other in last night's gubernatorial debate.

IN CELEBRATIN' AND GETTIN' MONEY 

University Day began on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m., because apparently people with 8 a.m. classes still don’t suffer enough. The occasion was created to celebrate UNC's past, present and future (and also functions as an excuse to give teachers and students a much-needed day off). The best part? At the day’s ceremony, Chancellor Carol Folt announced the creation of a campaign that will aim to raise $20 million for scholarships and grants in the next year. Bless.

IN LOVING AND LEAVING

Recent UNC grads are peacing out of Chapel Hill quick as heck after graduation. Some students believe it could be the next Silicon Valley. But for young professionals who could make the area shine, it makes more sense to live in Durham, which has beaucoup entrepreneurial opportunities and affordable housing. Now, Chapel Hill is working hard to give our little town big city-appeal and prevent any further brain drain, which is apparently more than just the term for what happens to me during midterms season.

IN COMING OUT

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts spoke at the UNC School of Law Tuesday to celebrate National Coming Out Day. She discussed how the law protecting LGBTQ patrons from being denied service in Charlotte was affected by HB2, and how far she believed the state would actually go to enforce it. She accused Gov. Pat McCrory of saying he would abolish HB2 due to backlash and then going back on his word.

IN GOOD, OLE FASHIONED BAD LUCK

UNC football’s lack of interceptions is not due to a lack of talent. Duh. Although the team has had zero interceptions through all six 2016 games, it isn’t due to a shortage of experience or a surplus of mistakes — mostly, it’s been plain old bad luck. Coaches plan to focus on improving techniques and making great plays; meanwhile, our boys are holding on to the hope that someday, their interception will come.