DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The fourth Halloweentown sucks

As is the case with most kids who grew up watching too much TV in the early 2000s, I absolutely adore "Halloweentown." Even though "Kalabar’s Revenge" gave my third grade self nightmares for six months straight, the series will always hold a special place in my heart. From the cheesy dialogue to the tacky costumes, everything about it screams “cinematic masterpiece.”

But no matter what, I still think Sara Paxton should’ve stayed in her lane and out of the fourth movie.

An open note to Sara: You are a MERMAID, not a witch! We all saw "Aquamarine" and we all see through your ruse! And furthermore, what happened to the original Marnie? And the little sister? Something smells fishy. So many unanswered questions for only 31 days of spookiness, but I know that someone, someday, will discover her evil plots — only then will it truly be a happy Halloween.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• On Monday afternoon, Chandler Kania pleaded guilty to felony death by vehicle, driving under the influence and several other charges following a drunken driving accident that left three people dead in July 2015.
  • Students filed out of Davis Library with laptops, notes and lunches in tow after a fire alarm went off on the second floor on Monday afternoon.
  • One man, 27 filters: staffer Zach Goins bravely embarks on the Snapvestigation, the ultimate quest to find all the Snapchat geotags available on UNC’s campus.

IN CATCALLING

Victoria Wooten was catcalled near Spencer dorm in the middle of the day. Her roommate was catcalled the night before. In 2015, graduate Kayla Blevins stopped a kidnapping situation that had escalated past harassment. UNC has a catcalling issue that desperately needs to be eradicated. I have only this to say: Don’t do it, y’all. Catcalling makes people afraid; it does not make them at all interested in you.

IN GUNS N’ RAFFLES

Gun rights organization Grass Roots North Carolina is under fire for offering a gun and a photo of Hillary Clinton as raffle prizes. Nicknamed the "Hillary Clinton Special," the raffle was created to raise awareness of Clinton’s gun control policies. Grant Gardner, the group’s treasurer, said in a statement that photos of Clinton have been popular targets at shooting ranges in the past.

IN HALLOWEEN!!

We all know what this time of year is about, and it ain’t cheap bags of candy or scaring the Reese’s Pieces out of the neighborhood kids. It’s all about "Halloweentown." In the spirit of the season, Swerve (arguably the creepiest desk in our office) is here to help you recreate the spooky-chic '90s looks from the first movie.

IN CHRISTMAS??

It may be October, but Sugarland is already filled with Christmas decorations and eggnog gelato. The Franklin Street shop is set to be featured in a brand new show on the Food Network centered on dessert shops in America. The show is currently unnamed to create an atmosphere of anticipation. While I don’t really understand the mysterious-Christmas-bakery aesthetic they’re going for, I guess I can appreciate it. Do you, fam.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

There are two more Music on the Porch concerts on Thursdays this fall. Come out and join the Center for the Study of the American South for its series all about celebrating (the fun) aspects of Southern culture.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Meet Shane Phillips, a graduate student in the UNC School of Social Work. He's been in sustained recovery since he was 18, and his story is part of the Carolina Recovery Program's awareness month going on for all members of the UNC community.