DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Co-worker callout

Good morning, and welcome to the day before the worst day of the calendar year! In honor of the holiday — and the Carrboro's annual Valentine’s Day Party for Older Adults around town — I've been reminiscing tonight about my first experience going to a dance with a significant other in high school.

Senior prom might not have had a drum circle, snacks or a prize drawing. But I did get the 10/10 life experience of a 15-minute phone call with a very overwhelmed small-town florist who had to quadruple-check that I did, in fact, want two boutonnieres, no corsages and matching flowers for them (for whatever reason).

But hey, my experience could be worse. I could be my friend/co-worker who was escorted out of a middle school dance.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• A recent report found North Carolina ranked first nationwide for the number of women employed in the technology sector.
  • If you're looking for something to binge-watch during midterms this semester, take a look at Netflix's "Santa Clarita Diet," a show about a suburban white mom/real estate agent/undead cannibal.
  • Chapel Hill saw a 5 percent drop in alcohol purchases from underage buyers in the last year, according to police compliance checks — which are basically just sending teenagers into liquor stores to see if they succeed in buying liquor.

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone stole $5,332.58 in cash and resisted arrest at the 100 block of North Elliott Road. Also, two people were reported carrying open containers of Smirnoff and a brand of beer I had to look up on Google.

IN THE STATE CAPITAL

Organizers reported that this year's HKonJ and Moral March drew record-high crowds over the weekend. Signs held up at the demonstration included catchy phrases like “BBQ not HB2," "Trump sucks worse than Duke" and the ever-so indirect "stop pretending that your racism is patriotism."

IN PROTEST

A group of about 30 people turned out to protest abortion and federal funding of Planned Parenthood on Saturday morning. Four women also came out to counter-protest and provide support for people who might feel intimidated.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

UNC students who've taken the GRE or are preparing for it sat down with us to offer some sage advice. Here are all the tips you need if you're thinking of grad school and are for some reason serious about doing that to yourself.