DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Rag Tag Team

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday!

What is the last sport you expect an underfunded, inner-city school miles away from any pool to offer? If your answer was water polo, you are correct.

That school would be my high school, and in 2009-ish, a rag-tag group of adventurously athletic students joined together to form the first water polo team. They had no pool. They did not know the rules. But they had YouTube.

After weeks of internet research, the team entered a pool for the first time to play the exact rich private school that you think would offer water polo and, to no surprise, be good at it.

My school won despite how small they were. That team went on to produce USA National Team members, college water polo players and countless other successful adults whose lives have nothing to do with water polo. 

Unfortunately for Cedar Ridge High School, size matters. Due to concern for injuries and lack of interest, this school will not offer varsity football for the fall 2018 season. 

The Rundown

• A comeback season, an ACC Coastal title and a College World Series appearance. Despite the loss to Oregon State, UNC baseball had the season no one saw coming
  • National Title Alert: Kenny Selmon has capped off his illustrious track and field career with a national title. He will leave UNC as one of the most decorated UNC athletes in his sport.

Tunesday

As we enter the last week of June, we welcome the halfway mark for the summer. Halfway through summer school, halfway through that summer job and halfway until we are reunited with our friends. This can be a slow period of the summer, so we have a playlist sure to light a fire and help you power through. 

Things to Do

• June 28- Rosé Soirée- Nothing says summer like pink wine and fish tacos. This classy event will also include wine freeze pops for the perfect (over-21) cool down treat. (Acme Food & Beverage Co.)
  • June 28- Yoga Under the Stars- Find your center in the center of the universe. Let Morehead planetarium take you on a journey through the stars and yoga flow. (Morehead Planetarium)
  • Sponsored: MidiCi is hiring! Looking for some extra cash to fund your summer beach vacation or just like half-off pizza? We have the reasons why you should apply to MidiCi right now. 

"In the end, nothing mattered. All that mattered was heart."

Tony Azevedo, captain of the USA Water Polo National Team