News Cheat Sheet for Oct. 1, 2012

TOP STORY — US military deaths in Afghanistan hit 2,000 after 11 years of war
The Associated Press reports: “The toll has climbed steadily in recent months with a spate of attacks by Afghan army and police — supposed allies — against American and NATO troops. That has raised troubling questions about whether countries in the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan will achieve their aim of helping the government in Kabul and its forces stand on their own after most foreign troops depart in little more than two years.”

Read More

News Cheat Sheet for Sept. 27, 2012

Since Democrat Walter Dalton and Republican Pat McCrory raised a total of $9 million between Jan. 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012, in their gubernatorial campaigns, The News & Observer launched an interactive map that displays campaign contributions by county. According to the map, McCrory is outfundraising Dalton in about three-fourths of the state.

Read More

News Cheat Sheet for Sept. 24, 2012

TOP STORY — Republican poll analysis: Romney winning with middle-class families
Politico reports that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney holds a 14-point advantage in the latest Politico-George Washington University Battleground Poll among middle-class families, “which comprise about 54 percent of the total American electorate and usually split in their vote behavior between Republicans and Democrats.”

Read More

News Cheat Sheet for Sept. 21, 2012

TOP STORY — Romney campaign hits a financial snag
While Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign spent about $67 million last month and had about $50 million cash on hand at the start of September, President Barack Obama’s campaign had nearly $90 million on hand going into September despite spending a higher amount — $83 million — in August.

Read More

News Cheat Sheet for Sept. 17, 2012

TOP STORY: Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Libya was a spontaneous response to protests in Cairo, Egypt in an interview with ABC News. Rice’s account directly contradicts that of Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magariaf.

Read More