Henson leads North Carolina men's basketball team in win

Freshman Harrison Barnes (40) scores two of his 14 points in his debut as a Tar Heel. John Henson (31), blocking above, was just three swats away from recording a triple-double.

In a game that was billed as Harrison Barnes’ introduction to North Carolina basketball fans, a returning starter stole the show in UNC’s 80-66 win against Lipscomb.

Even though Barnes impressed with his 14-point, four-rebound effort, John Henson was the key. He scored 10 points, but he was far better on the defensive end, swatting seven shots and collecting 17 rebounds.

Henson’s defensive effort gave the rest of the Tar Heels the ability to be more aggressive on the perimeter, knowing that he would alter any shot in the paint with his wingspan. Henson was the linchpin in UNC’s holding Lipscomb to just 35 percent shooting on the day.

He finished the game three blocks shy of the third triple-double in UNC history.

“They told me that in the locker room,” Henson said. “I was trying my hardest to get those three blocks, I’ll tell you that, but it was fun out there.”

Lipscomb took the fight to the Tar Heels early, making its first two shots and jumping out to a 10-4 lead within four minutes of play.

Looking for a spark, UNC coach Roy Williams entered freshmen Reggie Bullock and Kendall Marshall into the game. Bullock hit his first three shots, and Marshall was steady at the point guard spot as North Carolina jumped to a five-point lead.

For the game, Bullock had 12 points in just 15 minutes of play. He was one of five Tar Heels in double figures for the game.

Barnes finished the first half by hitting a difficult, contested jump shot with one second left to give the Tar Heels an eight-point cushion.

Lipscomb hung around, eventually getting within three points, but Leslie McDonald hit a jumper to spark a 10-4 run with eight minutes left to put away the Bisons.

“They hit some big shots,” Henson said. “That’s something a veteran team is going to do. You’re not going to knock them out at the first punch. You got to keep going.”

Barnes hardly acted like a first-team Preseason All-American pick, instead trying to fit into Williams’ offense. Most impressive, he did not have a single turnover despite playing in his first collegiate game.

“He’s a natural scorer, and as the game goes along and he gets more comfortable out there, I think the game will come easier to him,” Williams said.

Barnes and the freshmen comported themselves well in this first game. As they get used to the speed and size of the college game, they could become the game-changers they’ve been hyped to be.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.