Davis possibly to start in NBA

Free agency may cripple Toronto

Ed davis, selected 13th overall by the toronto raptors in the NBA draft, heads north to a team filled with
uncertainty in the post. Both starting forwards might leave this offseason, as well as three reserve big men.
Ed davis, selected 13th overall by the toronto raptors in the NBA draft, heads north to a team filled with uncertainty in the post. Both starting forwards might leave this offseason, as well as three reserve big men.

When highly touted high school recruit Ed Davis entered UNC in 2008, he was the Tar Heels’ sixth man for most of the national championship season.

Now entering his rookie season in the NBA, Davis may be a go-to player.

The Toronto Raptors selected the former UNC power forward with the 13th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft on June 24. And with the recent shake-up north of the border, it may be baptism under fire for Davis and his professional career.

“I’m just gonna work hard,” Davis said in his post-draft press conference. “That’s what my agent told me. That with this pick you have a chance to play right away and possibly start.”

As a sophomore, Davis averaged 13.4 points and 9.6 rebounds in 23 games played last season for UNC before suffering a left-wrist injury against Duke. He was immediately tabbed by draft analysts to depart from North Carolina and be a lottery pick in June.

“Actually quite a surprise,” Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo said of Davis still being on the board at the 13th pick.

“I feel like Ed was rated a lot higher, not only in our minds, but in all the research that we had done. There was a scenario that we talked about anybody above a certain line they drop to us and we take them. Ed was that name.”

According to the NBA rookie salary scale for the 13th pick in the draft, Davis has the opportunity to sign a three-year contract worth $5.16 million with an option for a fourth year.

Davis enters Toronto with a lot of uncertainty surrounding the team. The Raptors, who finished 40-42 and a game away from making the playoffs, were led by NBA All-Star and Olympic gold medalist Chris Bosh.

Bosh, who is among high-profile free agents like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, will most likely leave the Raptors after the start of free agency, which began today at 12:01 a.m.

“Chris Bosh — he’s my favorite player,” Davis said on Raptors.com. “I pattern my game around him because we’re both left-handed and we’re both power forwards.”

Ten-year veteran forward Hedo Turkoglu has stated that he wants out of Toronto only one year after being traded from Orlando.

“When the circumstances turned against me, I lost my enthusiasm for this city,” Turkoglu told a Turkish television station. “My lawyers have talked to the front office recently. Honestly, I do not want to go back to Toronto.”

Along with Bosh, three other Raptors will be free agents today. Reserve power forward Amir Johnson along with centers Rasho Nesterovic and Patrick O’Bryant will be able to talk with other NBA teams this week.

“With so many uncertainties, I can’t tell you what’s gonna happen,” Colangelo said. “But we’ve got a very talented basketball player. It’s interesting the things we need more than anything — defense, rebounding, shot blocking, protecting the rim. Ed Davis is a presence in the lane in that regard.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.