Henson, Zeller to return for 2011-12 season

Barnes yet to announce

Photo: Back For More (Jarrad Cole)

Tyler Zeller dunks in UNC’s 2011 NCAA tournament matchup with Kentucky. Zeller, who led the team in scoring, had 21 points in the Tar Heels’ 76-69 Elite Eight loss.

North Carolina forwards Tyler Zeller and John Henson announced Wednesday that they plan to return to UNC and play basketball for the 2011-12 season.

“I want to come back to school next year because I enjoy all aspects of being a college student and I truly love being a Tar Heel,” Henson said in a press release. “We had a fun and successful season, but we all want to improve on what we accomplished.”

Zeller, who led the Tar Heels in scoring in the 2010-11 season, said earning his college degree is important to him.

“I came to Carolina because it had the balance of academics and basketball I wanted and it was the best place for me to prepare for life and a career in the NBA,” Zeller said in a press release. “That’s exactly what we have here. I want to finish my college career, compete for championships and graduate on time.”

Zeller and Henson were both second-team All-ACC selections in 2011.

Freshman forward Harrison Barnes has yet to announce his decision and is still considering entering the NBA Draft.

“Harrison is not as far along in his decision-making process as were Tyler and John,” Williams said in a press release. “I am still gathering information on him from NBA teams and hope to provide him with all of that information by the end of next week.”