Year in Review: UNC men’s basketball return all five starters for next season

Photo: Tar Heels return all ?ve starters for next season (Lauren McCay)

John Henson returns his 6’10’’ frame for his junior campaign. Last season, he was ACC defensive player of the year.

Even by the program’s standards of excellence, the 2010-11 men’s basketball campaign that ended with an Elite Eight loss to Kentucky was a surprising success — but it didn’t come without its share of turmoil.

UNC (29-8) started the season ranked ninth in the preseason poll, but after a disappointing 1-2 performance in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, the Tar Heels were on the outside of the top 25 looking in.

North Carolina did not reappear in the polls until Feb. 7 — three days after Larry Drew II announced he was leaving the team.

Once freshman Kendall Marshall and sophomore Dexter Strickland took most of the responsibility in the backcourt, the team sprinted to a 13-3 finish, losing in the NCAA regional final to Kentucky.

In addition to Marshall and Strickland, the rest of the starting five will remain intact next season, including ACC Rookie of the Year Harrison Barnes, who averaged 15.7 points per game this season. Barnes announced April 18 he would return to UNC to pursue the 2012 national championship.

“As a team, we’re preparing for a special season.” Barnes said. “My off-season plans are to diligently work on honing my basketball skills in all areas with one team-goal in mind — to bring the 2012 national championship home to UNC.”

Coach Roy Williams acknowledged that Barnes had a tough call to make, but Williams knows his team wants to make its mark on North Carolina basketball history.

“I am of course excited to have Harrison back on our team next year,” Williams said in a statement.

“He had a difficult decision to make. He really had no wrong decision to choose, but I believe he is coming back to school because he enjoys college basketball, he enjoys the University of North Carolina and he enjoys his teammates.”

Barnes isn’t the only one that enjoys being at the University as sophomore John Henson and junior Tyler Zeller are also returning for next season. To UNC fans, Henson’s love for the University and the basketball program is obvious in his beaming smile every time he steps on the floor.

“I want to come back to school next year because I enjoy all aspects of being a college student and I truly love being a Tar Heel,” Henson said. “We had a fun and successful season, but we all want to improve on what we accomplished.”

Since North Carolina is returning 94 percent of its offense from last season, the Tar Heels are an early favorite to be the top-ranked team in the country come November.

In contrast, many other schools are losing talented players — like the Kentucky team that ended the Tar Heels’ run in the NCAA tournament. Freshmen Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight with junior DeAndre Liggins all declared for the NBA Draft but did not hire agents.

In addition to Kentucky’s departures, Kansas, Texas and UConn are all losing key players.

Even Duke will be suffering some key losses, as ACC Player of the Year Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler are graduating. Freshman Kyrie Irving decided in April to forgo the rest of his time at Duke and enter the NBA Draft.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.