Freshmen play large role in UNC men's basketball exhibition victory

Since the day forward Harrison Barnes announced he’d be coming back to North Carolina for his sophomore season in search of the Tar Heels’ sixth NCAA title, the talk has been surrounding UNC’s five returning starters.

But in UNC’s 100-58 exhibition win against UNC-Pembroke on Friday, it was the Tar Heels that were new in blue who brought electricity to the Dean Smith Center.

For most of the first 16 minutes of the game, the Braves ran the court and held a lead on the Tar Heels until, with 2:40 left to play in the first half, Williams subbed in freshmen Stilman White, Desmond Hubert and Jackson Simmons.

The four freshmen on the court soon proved they didn’t have the same sluggishness as their veteran teammates.

With a 3-pointer freshman forward P.J. Hairston tied the score, and a subsequent basket from freshman Simmons gave UNC a lead it wouldn’t lose for the rest of the game.

For the remainder of the half, UNC showed the dominance it lacked during the opening minutes, and the Tar Heels’ 14-0 run earned them a 43-32 lead going into the half.

Williams made sure his five starters took notice of the rookies’ drive during intermission.

“They should have (picked up on the momentum),” Williams said. “The biggest thing is those guys, the last three or four minutes of the first half, they just moved the ball … they were more active on the defensive end of the floor.”

The starting five lit up the court upon their return after halftime, proving the lackluster start was just that and not a reason to panic.

Starting guard Dexter Strickland said they haven’t quite worked out a subbing rotation, as the team still needs to assess how the freshmen will fit in.

“The starters know their role, and I think that’s going to take us a long way,” Strickland said. “The freshmen, they don’t know their role yet, but that’s all an experience that we’ll have during the games.”

But after Friday’s game, it appears the new Tar Heels do know how to contribute.

Hairston ended the game with 17 points, one fewer than leading scorer Tyler Zeller, and the 6-foot-5 forward sunk four of six shots from behind the arc. James Michael McAdoo had seven points and White added two.

Junior forward John Henson was impressed with the freshmen’s performance, but especially with Hairston’s shot.

“It goes in. I love it,” Henson said. “P.J. is kind of a rhythm shooter. Once he knocks down one, and finds that spot and finds what he feels is best for him, it’s going to be a long night for the person guarding him.”

In a matchup that showcased Williams’ freshest recruits, it was quite fittingly a field goal from Simmons that gave the Tar Heels their 100th point.

The freshmen created a spark that helped lead UNC to its first win of the 2011-12 campaign, but Henson said the experience gave his new teammates a whole lot more.

“It’s always good for the freshman to get in there, get their feet wet and build confidence,” Henson said. “Because that’s really what it’s about.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.