Roy Williams had surgery Wednesday morning

UNC head coach Roy Williams.
UNC head coach Roy Williams.

Roy Williams, head men’s basketball coach for North Carolina, had surgery Wednesday morning to remove a tumor from his right kidney.

Williams underwent a procedure known as a roboticpartial nephrectomy for three and a half hours at UNC Hospitals this morning. Dr. Eric Wallen, a professor of urology at UNC led the surgical team along with Dr. Matthew Raynor.

The tumor was found during a physical earlier this month. The release from UNC athletic communications indicates that Williams may have a second surgery to remove a tumor from his left kidney at a later date and that could prevent him from participation in some practices.

But as of now, Wallen said that Williams should be able to coach when practice opens up for the 2012-13 season on Oct. 13.

“The surgery went well and according to plan,” Wallen said in a release. “Coach Williams did great. I fully expect him to coach this season and for years to come. He could miss some practice time if we perform another procedure sometime in October, but he would be able to resume his coaching duties prior to the start of the regular season.”

The 2012-13 season will be Williams’ 10th year at UNC and his 25th as a college basketball coach. The 62-year-old is already of member of both the Naismith Basketball and College Basketball Halls of Fame. In his time at UNC, he has been to three Final Fours and claimed two national titles.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Coach Williams and his family for a full recovery,” UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham said. “Obviously his health and prognosis are my greatest concerns. He’s in great hands with the medical staff at UNC Hospitals. The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay.

“As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as CoachWilliams recuperates. We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”