Roy Williams speaks out on Hairston

Coach Roy Williams broke his silence earlier this week regarding North Carolina shooting guard P.J. Hairston’s arrest, despite originally pledging to withhold comment until all the facts were gathered.

In a statement released Monday, Williams said he had spoken to Hairston about serious mistakes he had made, and he promised “serious consequences.”

“Certainly the idea of suspending P.J. has been discussed,” Williams said.

“However, he is not currently enrolled in summer school, is not practicing with the team and we have no games until November.”

At a Durham license check in early June, Hairston was arrested and charged with driving without a license and possession of marijuana.

Durham Police Public Information Officer Kammie Michael said at the time a gun and ammunition magazine were also found outside the vehicle.

On July 10, Michael said the Durham police didn’t anticipate filing any additional charges in the Hairston case.

While Williams said a number of disciplinary options are on the table for Hairston, he said he would wait until the legal process was finished to decide on one.

In a detailed police report obtained by the Raleigh News & Observer last week, Hairston told the arresting officer that Haydn “Fats” Thomas — a felon with a lengthy criminal record, who is also awaiting trial for drug and gun charges unrelated to Hairston — rented the car for him.

In the report, Hairston also stated he was a “recreational” drug user, but he said he had not smoked any marijuana on the night of the arrest.

Williams said he is aware of the potential impending stain on the UNC basketball program.

“Other issues have been written about recently that are disturbing and bother me deeply,” Williams said. “Our basketball program is based on great ideals and these issues are embarrassing.

“These are not common in my 10 years as head coach at UNC and they will all be dealt with harshly and appropriately at the correct time to ensure that our program will not be compromised.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.