Former UNC guard P.J. Hairston joins Texas Legends

The Texas Legends have officially acquired former North Carolina guard P.J. Hairston.

Hairston is expected to be in uniform for the Legends, a NBA Development League team and a Dallas Mavericks affiliate, this Saturday at home.

Hairston is the first player to join the D-League midseason after being enrolled in college at the start of the season, according to the official D-League release.

“I’m extremely grateful that the Texas Legends organization believes in my abilities, and thank them for signing me to their team” Hairston said in the statement. “I intend to take full advantage of this opportunity. This is another positive step towards accomplishing the goals I set out for myself. This is an exciting time.”

Hairston had tweeted late Sunday that he would be headed to Dallas, two days after he submitted paperwork to join the D-League player pool. His UNC career ended Dec. 20 after the University decided not submit for his reinstatement.

“We are excited to add a player like P.J. Hairston,” said Legends Owner and Dallas Mavericks President of Basketball Operations Donnie Nelson. “P.J. has been on the NBA radar for a number of years now, and the opportunity for him to develop and showcase his ability with the Legends is unique. We are surrounding P.J. with all of the necessary tools to prepare himself for the NBA Draft. I am excited to see him in a Legends uniform this weekend.”