Syracuse remains competitive despite losses

UNC men’s basketball players watch as former Syracuse forward Jerami Grant dunks in a game. Courtesy of The Daily Orange.

The man with the second-most wins all time in college basketball won’t even let up for a game of CandyLand with his daughter.

“I never let my daughter beat me,” Boeheim said. “I never would. She knows that.”

She understands her dad has to be that way to survive.

In 2013-14, Syracuse went 25 games before its first loss. This season, Syracuse is barely ranked among the nation’s top-25 teams.

Syracuse’s No. 23 ranking reflects not only the players the team lost, but the increased level of competition it will face.

“It was a constant battle,” Boeheim said. “We had a great start, but we’re really winning games by the thinnest of margins against everybody. Not just the good teams, but everybody.”

Louisville only increases the degree of difficulty, giving the conference four Hall of Fame coaches and four top-10 teams.

“From top to bottom, this conference is unbelievable,” redshirt junior guard Trevor Cooney said.

In addition to a tougher schedule, sensational freshman point guard Tyler Ennis left for the NBA. The team also lost forwards C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant.

The trio scored 60 percent of Syracuse’s points last season.

To reload and try to stay competitive, Boeheim will rely heavily on Cooney and senior forward Rakeem Christmas.

“Both guys have had tremendous starts to their careers,” Boeheim said. “They’ve brought a lot to the program, but I believe that they’ve got a lot more in them.”

Cooney shot 240 3-pointers last season and made 37.5 percent of them. No other returning Syracuse player had more than 43 3-point attempts, leaving the fourth-year guard as the only proven threat on the perimeter. Christmas averaged just under six points per game in his third year.

“I think I have to be more this year,” Christmas said.

A pair of fresh faces, incoming freshmen guard Kaleb Joseph and forward Chris McCullough, are expected to replace lost starters and keep the team competitive.

Joseph will be charged with filling the void left by Ennis, whose clutch shots and uncharacteristic poise for a freshman were a huge part of 2013-14.

So far through practice and preseason exhibition games, Joseph has shown he’s just as talented as his predecessor.

“He’s really explosive,” Cooney said. “He’s quick, he gets up and down the floor.”

But the real test will come when the games start to count. Boeheim says a successful season depends on both old and new players stepping up.

But if the season goes south, Boeheim always has CandyLand to fall back on.