Virginia Tech welcomes new coach Buzz Williams

“Congratulations on your new coach,” the Virginia Tech senior guard’s cousin wrote. But Johnston, unaware of the new hire, asked who it was.

It’s Buzz Williams, who takes over the Hokies’ program for the 2014-15 season after six seasons as the head coach of Marquette.

“I’m just gonna tell ‘em the truth,” said Williams at the ACC’s annual basketball Media Day. “I’m gonna love ‘em really hard, I’m gonna coach ‘em really hard, and I’m gonna be really hard on ‘em off the floor because that’s what’s gonna last.”

The family mentality that Williams has established will be necessary for the underdog Hokies as they enter a competitive conference in the ACC that has now added Louisville to the mix.

“I knew he coached Marquette,” Johnston said. “That’s all I knew about him.”

Little did he know how fast their relationship would grow.

“Do you like him?” a reporter asked at ACC Media day in Charlotte.

“Yeah I like him,” Johnston responded. “He’s like my dad.”

Williams, who led the Golden Eagles to two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 between 2011 and 2013, brings a fresh level of pedigree to a struggling Virginia Tech squad that went 9-22, 2-16 ACC in 2013-14 under James Johnson.

Players have already responded with rave reviews.

After a grueling two-week boot camp, the team will try and compensate for its lack of elite ACC talent with physicality and mental toughness.

“We didn’t touch a basketball for two weeks, but that was his goal. He wanted to see who was tough enough physically and mentally,” Johnston said.

After the dismal 2013-14 campaign, the media made it clear that it expects more of the same from the Hokies this season as the team was predicted to finish last in the ACC.

But with a year at the college level under his belt, Devin Wilson has learned how to compete in the ACC.

He will be joined by a pair of exciting top recruits, Ahmed Hill and Justin Bibbs, whose presence already proves Williams’ prowess on the trail. The backcourt will also rely on Johnston as a jack of all trades, providing veteran savvy and outside shooting off the bench.

The frontcourt will be the Hokies’ biggest question heading into the season, with the departure of players like C.J. Barksdale, who averaged 8.1 points a contest last year. The wildcard of this group is junior college transfer Shane Henry, who was the No. 5 ranked JUCO recruit by 247Sports. If Henry can replicate this production at a higher level of competition, the Hokies could cause fits for the traditional league powers and be a threat going forward .

A new beginning, a new Buzz Williams team.

“We’re not scared of anyone,” Johnston said.